Printing over UNC

I'd say 95% of our printers are connected via a UNC share and we have zero issues printing from Vantage. For our networked printers, we have a central server say \\printserver\hplaserjet123<file:///\\printserver\hplaserjet123> that the windows clients connect to and Vantage sees it fine. For local printers that's on a parallel or USB that someone else wants to use, same process, just share it from the host computer and then on the client machine...Start > Run > \\computername\<file:///\\computername\>, right click the shared printer, left click connect... adds it to your printer list. Rinse and repeat for any others.

-J

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jgiese1988
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:43 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Printing over UNC

We had an Epicor consultant here a while back, and they stated that we ould not print over UNC paths from Epicor, to say our label printers. None of them are networked, and I'm hesitant to just spend the money on new ones or the hardware required to make them networked. Is anyone else printing over UNC, even if I have to give the computers static IPs to avoid any potential DNS related troubles down the road (i.e. \\192.168.0.30<file:///\\192.168.0.30> vs \\computer-name<file:///\\computer-name>) I'm fine with that.

Technical information contained in this e-mail may be controlled by the United States Government, Department of State, International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR 120-130) which requires an export license prior to sharing with foreign persons. Lacking such license, ITAR technical data is limited to U.S. persons only. It is the responsibility of the organization and the individual in control of this data to abide by U.S. Export Laws. If you are not a U.S. person take no further action with this e-mail and contact sender immediately.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
We had an Epicor consultant here a while back, and they stated that we ould not print over UNC paths from Epicor, to say our label printers. None of them are networked, and I'm hesitant to just spend the money on new ones or the hardware required to make them networked. Is anyone else printing over UNC, even if I have to give the computers static IPs to avoid any potential DNS related troubles down the road (i.e. \\192.168.0.30 vs \\computer-name) I'm fine with that.