Product Configuration and Sales Orders (V 8.03.403)

If you skip the last page - the user doesn't get the option to go back



If you have a 2 page configurator you create a third page, make it skip
but execute Onleave expressions.

If you go forward or back no problem, if you move past the 2nd page you
cant go back as it's the end of the configurator

The Onleave gets executed and passed back.



From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Calvin Krusen
Sent: 01 May 2008 16:04
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Product Configuration and Sales Orders (V
8.03.403)




I assume the Onleave method/event happens even if you go back a page.
Assuming your configurator has more than one page, as ours does.

So if you had a two page configurator, and the user went to page two,
then back to page one, that would trigger the update of the OrderDtl
table.

What do you think about puting a CheckBox on the last page that needs to
be checked in order to update the OrderDtl table? A quick test to see
if the configurator was launched from within Order Entry could be used
to enable or disable the checkbox. A little clunky, but better than the
OrderDtls not matching the underlying configuration.

Calvin

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"Stephen Edginton" <stephene@...> wrote:
>
> Or you put the code to do the updating on the last page -
>
> Skip the page but execute the Onleave expressions.
>
>
>

<snip>

> > 3) If the program below is called from an Item:OnLeave , won't my
> order
> > line info change even if the user cancels or exit the configurator
> > without saving?
> >
> > You might want to give that last one some thought (with respect to
the
> > Customer Connect usage). What if someone fully configures and saves
a
> > part on a order line, then goes back to see what changing the
> > configuration might do to pricing, options, or whatever, but exits
the
> > configurator without saving. The underlying configuration choices
are
> > from the original saved configuration, while OrderDtl fileds may
have
> > been changed while 'surfing' the configuration.
>
> You are wise young grasshopper. I'm not sure about the web
configurator
> but
> the Vantage client does indeed exhibit this unfortunate side-effect.
> This is
> an excellent reason to have "Order" along with "Job", "Job Assembly",
> "Quote",
> "Quote Assembly", and "Part" in the SetField rule. Part is interesting
> because
> it is only valid when creating a new part. I would imagine that Order
> (OrderDtl more accurately) could also be dealt with using a similar
> context
> condition.
>
> Mark W.
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
How do I pull in a configured part's properties during Sales Order
entry?

In the quote entry, I can use the 'Get Manufacturing Details' action
to pull in the MOM, and the configured part' properties (like P/N,
Description, Product Group, etc...)

Can a configurable part be configured in Order Entry? Or must it be
done in Quote Entry and pulled into the sales order?

Calvin Krusen
Calvin,



You really don't pull them into the Sales Order. You use the
Configurable Part Number as your Part and then click the CONFIGURE
button. Complete your configuration screen/screens and save it. Then use
Order Job Wizard to Create a Job and check the GET DETAILS check box.
This will build your job details.



Todd



From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Calvin Krusen
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 2:58 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Product Configuration and Sales Orders (V 8.03.403)



How do I pull in a configured part's properties during Sales Order
entry?

In the quote entry, I can use the 'Get Manufacturing Details' action
to pull in the MOM, and the configured part' properties (like P/N,
Description, Product Group, etc...)

Can a configurable part be configured in Order Entry? Or must it be
done in Quote Entry and pulled into the sales order?

Calvin Krusen





This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Todd,

That works fine for creating the Job.

But How do I get the Sales Order Ack. to printout with the 'configured'
part? My part configurator builds the final P/N and description, but
doesn't create a new part. Quote lines details are updated after saving
the configuration. Order Acks look like they'd print the 'base'
configuration info.

Calvin


--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Hofert" <todd@...> wrote:
>
> Calvin,
>
>
>
> You really don't pull them into the Sales Order. You use the
> Configurable Part Number as your Part and then click the CONFIGURE
> button. Complete your configuration screen/screens and save it. Then
use
> Order Job Wizard to Create a Job and check the GET DETAILS check box.
> This will build your job details.
>
>
>
> Todd
>
>
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf
> Of Calvin Krusen
> Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 2:58 PM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] Product Configuration and Sales Orders (V 8.03.403)
>
>
>
> How do I pull in a configured part's properties during Sales Order
> entry?
>
> In the quote entry, I can use the 'Get Manufacturing Details' action
> to pull in the MOM, and the configured part' properties (like P/N,
> Description, Product Group, etc...)
>
> Can a configurable part be configured in Order Entry? Or must it be
> done in Quote Entry and pulled into the sales order?
>
> Calvin Krusen
>
>
>
>
>
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and
privileged
> information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy
any
> copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
> than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
Hi Calvin,

> But How do I get the Sales Order Ack. to printout with the 'configured'
> part? My part configurator builds the final P/N and description, but
> doesn't create a new part. Quote lines details are updated after saving
> the configuration. Order Acks look like they'd print the 'base'
> configuration info.

This is missing in Vantage and I'd be happy to join you and any others who
would like to be able to update the sales order line information that can be
updated in Quote maintenance like Description, Product Group, etc. like you
can in Quote Entry. We generate a smart description but not a smart part
number and I assume that you're doing the same.

The trouble is that there is no Get Details in Order Entry like you have in
Quote Entry or Job Entry so the logic of the SetField rules won't ever be
executed.

It would be nice if the configurator would run through the rules when it's
doing the Price Update utility and only execute the SetField rules that apply
to OrderDtl.

Mark W.
There is a guy, John Hickens, I believe, excuse me if I mis-spelled it,
that is doing this with Product Configurator. I haven't been able to
make it work but I saw him do it during a presentation at Perspectives.
Maybe he will respond to the list.



Todd



From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Mark Wonsil
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:24 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: Product Configuration and Sales Orders (V
8.03.403)



Hi Calvin,

> But How do I get the Sales Order Ack. to printout with the
'configured'
> part? My part configurator builds the final P/N and description, but
> doesn't create a new part. Quote lines details are updated after
saving
> the configuration. Order Acks look like they'd print the 'base'
> configuration info.

This is missing in Vantage and I'd be happy to join you and any others
who
would like to be able to update the sales order line information that
can be
updated in Quote maintenance like Description, Product Group, etc. like
you
can in Quote Entry. We generate a smart description but not a smart part
number and I assume that you're doing the same.

The trouble is that there is no Get Details in Order Entry like you have
in
Quote Entry or Job Entry so the logic of the SetField rules won't ever
be
executed.

It would be nice if the configurator would run through the rules when
it's
doing the Price Update utility and only execute the SetField rules that
apply
to OrderDtl.

Mark W.





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
I think we are handling our part number/descriptions as you are trying
to do:
1. "Part Creation" tab in the configurator is set to create new part
numbers for each configuration, set part numbers only, and create them
in Quote, Order, and Job Entry automatically.
2. We are using Smart String rules to create the new part.
3. An on leave statement creates a description based on the inputs.
We store this description in a Editor input field within the configurator.
3. A final on leave statement uses "update table buffer" logic to
copy the contents of the Editor box out to the order or quote
description fields. Jobs created from either the order or the quote
will then have the same description.

You can obtain a copy of the Configurator Technical Reference Guide
from Epic Web. Starting on page 306 is a discussion about using Update
Table Buffer.

Good Luck!
Sandie
Hi Sandie,

> I think we are handling our part number/descriptions as you are trying
> to do:
> 1. "Part Creation" tab in the configurator is set to create new part
> numbers for each configuration, set part numbers only, and create them
> in Quote, Order, and Job Entry automatically.
> 2. We are using Smart String rules to create the new part.
> 3. An on leave statement creates a description based on the inputs.
> We store this description in a Editor input field within the configurator.

Yep, we're already doing this part.

> 3. A final on leave statement uses "update table buffer" logic to
> copy the contents of the Editor box out to the order or quote
> description fields. Jobs created from either the order or the quote
> will then have the same description.

Does the UpdateTableBuffer.p program work with Sales/Customer Connect? I've
been shying away from running code that might not work on the web front-end.

Thanks,
Sandy,

I build the part number and description in the configurator, using
Editor and Character fields to preview the final values. Then I use the
Set Field function to set the P/N and Desc fields for Quotes and Jobs
(Sadly no option for Orders). I don't use the Smart String, and I don't
create a new part for each configuration.

Everything works fine in Quote Entry and Job Entry. But in the Sales
Order entry, the 'Configure' but only saves the underlying configuration
settings. It doesn't update the SO Line details with the new configured
values.

Yes, the Job created from that order would be created properly when the
job is created. But how do I get the Order details updated so that the
Order Ack prints properly?

Thanks,

Calvin Krusen



--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Sandie Smith <smsmith@...> wrote:
>
> I think we are handling our part number/descriptions as you are trying
> to do:
> 1. "Part Creation" tab in the configurator is set to create new part
> numbers for each configuration, set part numbers only, and create them
> in Quote, Order, and Job Entry automatically.
> 2. We are using Smart String rules to create the new part.
> 3. An on leave statement creates a description based on the inputs.
> We store this description in a Editor input field within the
configurator.
> 3. A final on leave statement uses "update table buffer" logic to
> copy the contents of the Editor box out to the order or quote
> description fields. Jobs created from either the order or the quote
> will then have the same description.
>
> You can obtain a copy of the Configurator Technical Reference Guide
> from Epic Web. Starting on page 306 is a discussion about using Update
> Table Buffer.
>
> Good Luck!
> Sandie
>
> Yes, the Job created from that order would be created properly when the
> job is created. But how do I get the Order details updated so that the
> Order Ack prints properly?

I think this is what Sandie is talking about. Go ahead and create your part
description in a text box or editor box in your configurator as usual then add
this code to an Item On Leave or a Page On Leave area:

def var OrderNum as integer.
def var OrderLine as integer.
def var CurrentCompany as Character.

OrderNum = GetCurrentOrderNum().
OrderLine = GetCurrentOrderLine().
CurrentCompany = GetCurrentCompany().

If OrderNum > 0 and OrderLine > 0 then do:
Find OrderDtl where OrderDtl.Company = CurrentCompany and
Orderdtl.OrderNum = OrderNum and OrderDtl.OrderLine = OrderLine no-lock
no-error.

Run lib\UpdateTableBuffer.p(input BUFFER OrderDtl:HANDLE,
'LineDesc', 'ModelCode').
End.

This sets the Line Description in the OrderDtl record to the string
'ModelCode' but you would use your text box or editor value there instead.
I've tested it and it worked for me. Now Sandie and I need to see if this
works with Sales/Customer Connect...

Mark W.
Thanks Mark, your post was most helpful.

Now for some follow up questions:

1) Can the "Run Lib\Update..." call be performed for more than one field
at a time?

2) If not, does the "If OrderNum > ..." call need to be performed again
before calling "UpdateTableBuffer" to update another field?

3) If the program below is called from an Item:OnLeave , won't my order
line info change even if the user cancels or exit the configurator
without saving?

You might want to give that last one some thought (with respect to the
Customer Connect usage). What if someone fully configures and saves a
part on a order line, then goes back to see what changing the
configuration might do to pricing, options, or whatever, but exits the
configurator without saving. The underlying configuration choices are
from the original saved configuration, while OrderDtl fileds may have
been changed while 'surfing' the configuration.

Thanks,

Calvin K


--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wonsil" <mark_wonsil@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Yes, the Job created from that order would be created properly when
the
> > job is created. But how do I get the Order details updated so that
the
> > Order Ack prints properly?
>
> I think this is what Sandie is talking about. Go ahead and create your
part
> description in a text box or editor box in your configurator as usual
then add
> this code to an Item On Leave or a Page On Leave area:
>
> def var OrderNum as integer.
> def var OrderLine as integer.
> def var CurrentCompany as Character.
>
> OrderNum = GetCurrentOrderNum().
> OrderLine = GetCurrentOrderLine().
> CurrentCompany = GetCurrentCompany().
>
> If OrderNum > 0 and OrderLine > 0 then do:
> Find OrderDtl where OrderDtl.Company = CurrentCompany and
> Orderdtl.OrderNum = OrderNum and OrderDtl.OrderLine = OrderLine
no-lock
> no-error.
>
> Run lib\UpdateTableBuffer.p(input BUFFER OrderDtl:HANDLE,
> 'LineDesc', 'ModelCode').
> End.
>
> This sets the Line Description in the OrderDtl record to the string
> 'ModelCode' but you would use your text box or editor value there
instead.
> I've tested it and it worked for me. Now Sandie and I need to see if
this
> works with Sales/Customer Connect...
>
> Mark W.
>
> 1) Can the "Run Lib\Update..." call be performed for more than one field
> at a time?

I believe you'd have to call the routine once for each field.

> 2) If not, does the "If OrderNum > ..." call need to be performed again
> before calling "UpdateTableBuffer" to update another field?

I don't think you'd have to find the record again but I haven't tested it.

> 3) If the program below is called from an Item:OnLeave , won't my order
> line info change even if the user cancels or exit the configurator
> without saving?
>
> You might want to give that last one some thought (with respect to the
> Customer Connect usage). What if someone fully configures and saves a
> part on a order line, then goes back to see what changing the
> configuration might do to pricing, options, or whatever, but exits the
> configurator without saving. The underlying configuration choices are
> from the original saved configuration, while OrderDtl fileds may have
> been changed while 'surfing' the configuration.

You are wise young grasshopper. I'm not sure about the web configurator but
the Vantage client does indeed exhibit this unfortunate side-effect. This is
an excellent reason to have "Order" along with "Job", "Job Assembly", "Quote",
"Quote Assembly", and "Part" in the SetField rule. Part is interesting because
it is only valid when creating a new part. I would imagine that Order
(OrderDtl more accurately) could also be dealt with using a similar context
condition.

Mark W.
Or you put the code to do the updating on the last page -

Skip the page but execute the Onleave expressions.



From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Mark Wonsil
Sent: 30 April 2008 19:03
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: Product Configuration and Sales Orders (V
8.03.403)



> 1) Can the "Run Lib\Update..." call be performed for more than one
field
> at a time?

I believe you'd have to call the routine once for each field.

> 2) If not, does the "If OrderNum > ..." call need to be performed
again
> before calling "UpdateTableBuffer" to update another field?

I don't think you'd have to find the record again but I haven't tested
it.

> 3) If the program below is called from an Item:OnLeave , won't my
order
> line info change even if the user cancels or exit the configurator
> without saving?
>
> You might want to give that last one some thought (with respect to the
> Customer Connect usage). What if someone fully configures and saves a
> part on a order line, then goes back to see what changing the
> configuration might do to pricing, options, or whatever, but exits the
> configurator without saving. The underlying configuration choices are
> from the original saved configuration, while OrderDtl fileds may have
> been changed while 'surfing' the configuration.

You are wise young grasshopper. I'm not sure about the web configurator
but
the Vantage client does indeed exhibit this unfortunate side-effect.
This is
an excellent reason to have "Order" along with "Job", "Job Assembly",
"Quote",
"Quote Assembly", and "Part" in the SetField rule. Part is interesting
because
it is only valid when creating a new part. I would imagine that Order
(OrderDtl more accurately) could also be dealt with using a similar
context
condition.

Mark W.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
I assume the Onleave method/event happens even if you go back a page.
Assuming your configurator has more than one page, as ours does.

So if you had a two page configurator, and the user went to page two,
then back to page one, that would trigger the update of the OrderDtl
table.

What do you think about puting a CheckBox on the last page that needs to
be checked in order to update the OrderDtl table? A quick test to see
if the configurator was launched from within Order Entry could be used
to enable or disable the checkbox. A little clunky, but better than the
OrderDtls not matching the underlying configuration.

Calvin


--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Edginton" <stephene@...> wrote:
>
> Or you put the code to do the updating on the last page -
>
> Skip the page but execute the Onleave expressions.
>
>
>

<snip>


> > 3) If the program below is called from an Item:OnLeave , won't my
> order
> > line info change even if the user cancels or exit the configurator
> > without saving?
> >
> > You might want to give that last one some thought (with respect to
the
> > Customer Connect usage). What if someone fully configures and saves
a
> > part on a order line, then goes back to see what changing the
> > configuration might do to pricing, options, or whatever, but exits
the
> > configurator without saving. The underlying configuration choices
are
> > from the original saved configuration, while OrderDtl fileds may
have
> > been changed while 'surfing' the configuration.
>
> You are wise young grasshopper. I'm not sure about the web
configurator
> but
> the Vantage client does indeed exhibit this unfortunate side-effect.
> This is
> an excellent reason to have "Order" along with "Job", "Job Assembly",
> "Quote",
> "Quote Assembly", and "Part" in the SetField rule. Part is interesting
> because
> it is only valid when creating a new part. I would imagine that Order
> (OrderDtl more accurately) could also be dealt with using a similar
> context
> condition.
>
> Mark W.
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>