Program when English is a second language

For me it was Turbo Pascal…
Before my KB I was used to just the `key plus the letter e for è, or à. But my newest computer the à is already a key, and I sometimes get à by mistake… so Ican say it is a love hate with this KB…

As for Excel, Our work env is in french. If I want to use Sum in my formula…it is an error, unknown function. I have to use SOMME…(I am still on 2002 office…:wink: )

arghhhh :grimacing:

The funnest part is that the French version seems to change translation sometimes, where the English version will keep old appellations for backwards compatibility. I inherited a flock of advanced Excel tools from a combination of languages. Luckily I enjoy investigating.

1 Like

I have two keyboard layouts installed, Canadian French (legacy) for emails and documentation (that’s the pre-Vista layout where you press the accent key followed by the letter you want the accent on), and US English for programming. I never figured out the “Canadian Multilingual” layout, it doesn’t make any sense…

I still say we’re all smarter here in Québec because we have to stretch our brains to multiple languages.

I know people in Manitoba who have spent the last 40 years whining about having to see French on their breakfast cereal boxes, no brain increases visible! :joy:

I think it was invented as a way of saying “sorry, eh…”

1 Like

I am also mouse-challenged and use those keyboard shortcuts liberally. Most of my more mouse-enabled customers/colleagues wonder what I’m doing.

2 Likes