Project Related Time Entry through MES

Joe,

Yes we do link the job to the project as well.  Costing seems to work fine but we no longer use project cost and BPA due to it being so bad/slow in our version.  Seems we can't build 3/4 of our projects.  Everything we do for costing is outside of Epicor now which is much faster, more reliable and transparent, so I cannot guarantee that its going to work 100% inside.  It's easy enough to test with your existing data.

The main reason we did this is to contain all work in one place (project) and we no longer need to go to multiple screens to have a complete view.  It's so much easier to create and manage now.

Hello,

We are working to implement the project management module for managing the Time and Materials side of our business.

So far everything is working out well but I just ran into a challenge.

We have shop workers who need to report their time against project related jobs, where job type is Project, but it looks like you can’t do this through MES.

Additionally, you can’t leverage time entry quick codes like you can in Time and Expense Entry.

This seems like it will prevent me from being able to use MES for project related work. I could have the workers log into “full” Epicor and enter their time in Time and Expense Entry but I could end up with an issue with licensing because I might hit our max user count if I now have individual workers logging in.

This was I was hoping that I could leverage an MES license instead.

I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with a similar situation and if there is alternative to the “full” Epicor approach?

I’m thinking that I could build a solution that would limit the amount of time a full Epicor license is used and to provide a streamlined version of time entry but that will take a good deal of effort.

I also didn’t know if there was a 3rd party bolt-on that would handle this as well.

JOE ROJAS

Epicor Applications Manager

VENTION MEDICAL + DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
Advancing Your Innovations For Health

261 Cedar Hill Street  |  Marlborough, MA 01752
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625  |  MOBILE: 774.826.9245

EMAIL: JoRojas@...  |  WEB: ventionmedical.com

THINK QUALITY. BE QUALITY. GO BEYOND.

This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure, and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail, and delete this information from your computer.

Forgot to mention that we are on E9.05.702A

JOE ROJAS

Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:09 AM
To: 'vantage@yahoogroups.com' <vantage@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Project Related Time Entry through MES

Hello,

We are working to implement the project management module for managing the Time and Materials side of our business.

So far everything is working out well but I just ran into a challenge.

We have shop workers who need to report their time against project related jobs, where job type is Project, but it looks like you can’t do this through MES.

Additionally, you can’t leverage time entry quick codes like you can in Time and Expense Entry.

This seems like it will prevent me from being able to use MES for project related work. I could have the workers log into “full” Epicor and enter their time in Time and Expense Entry but I could end up with an issue with licensing because I might hit our max user count if I now have individual workers logging in.

This was I was hoping that I could leverage an MES license instead.

I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with a similar situation and if there is alternative to the “full” Epicor approach?

I’m thinking that I could build a solution that would limit the amount of time a full Epicor license is used and to provide a streamlined version of time entry but that will take a good deal of effort.

I also didn’t know if there was a 3rd party bolt-on that would handle this as well.

JOE ROJAS

Advancing Your Innovations For Health

261 Cedar Hill Street  |  Marlborough, MA 01752

EMAIL: JoRojas@...  |  WEB: ventionmedical.com

THINK QUALITY. BE QUALITY. GO BEYOND.

I was asked to do this same thing about 2 years ago.  I revamped our project entry to work with MES. Instead of using phases>jobs we pool the orders and linked jobs into a project.  The systems we worked on could take months to finish so each phase was split into orders.  The project ID was the system's serial and each time we would begin a new phase we would use project entry to create the next step which would automatically create the order, the selected step (job) and the traveler.  This would be emailed to our production team and they would clock in and out of the operations through MES.

Let me know if this is the path you were thinking.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
I think I see what you’re doing.
Do you still link the job to the project/phase in job entry so that you have a manufacturing job associated to the project?
If yes, does this job still get included project costs when the Project Analysis is run?

JOE ROJAS
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:40 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Project Related Time Entry through MES

I was asked to do this same thing about 2 years ago. I revamped our project entry to work with MES. Instead of using phases>jobs we pool the orders and linked jobs into a project. The systems we worked on could take months to finish so each phase was split into orders. The project ID was the system's serial and each time we would begin a new phase we would use project entry to create the next step which would automatically create the order, the selected step (job) and the traveler. This would be emailed to our production team and they would clock in and out of the operations through MES.

Let me know if this is the path you were thinking.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]