I understand that completely, @ckrusen.
I just finished converting the “Shop Load” report into an Excel-friendly report style. I’m sure everyone knows how many fields are on that report (not a terrible amount, but enough to confuse the hell out of most people) and the original alignment of each field paled in comparison to the subsequent realignment of those exact same fields with every “no-that-sucks-let-me-try-it-this-way” layout decision I made.
Still haven’t mastered the art of avoiding the phantom columns in the Excel output when you align two header textboxes together at a spacing of “0 points” in the report header region. You’d want the header text in the header region so that it can be output as a “frozen row” when you scroll through the spreadsheet vertically. If you, instead, put the header text into a “row outside of the group” (that really becomes nothing more than part of the tablix data), then you’ve solved the phantom columns issue - but - the “header” scrolls with the rest of the output and doesn’t behave like an actual header (because it technically isn’t). So, yeah… that’s fun.
If you have slayed the phantom column issue (while maintaining header textboxes in the report’s header region), let me know - would love to know the secret.