Tax Connect Enable/Disable from Order Entry/Invoice Entry - Intended Behavior?

We would like to exclude certain orders and invoices from running through tax connect. I see the Tax Connect Enabled on the company maintenance and that disables/enables it from running everywhere.

I also see the disable/enable option per order or invoice in the actions menu on each respective form.

I guess I was hoping to see the same behavior applied as in company maintenance when that checkbox is selected as enabled/disabled from the form… From my testing, it still runs and calculates tax when it is disabled at the form level… Is this intended behavior?

Seems sus. (Look, I’m hip–using the lingo of those yooouths! :rofl:)

Disabling definitely still seems to calc the taxes. I would say either report it to support if you have the patience of a saint or just write some BPMs to disable those various options that calculate tax (like disabling Actions > Invoice > Calculate Tax)

1 Like

Alternatively (we did this at Elkay), set up an Avalara tax code that’s nontax and set those invoices to use that instead of fiddling with trying to disable things.

Super sus.

Yeah it’s just that we don’t want it to show up in avalara period because it is taxable, we just can’t process the invoicing through epicor because of 10,000 ship tos on the order… If you make it non-taxable it goes to avalara as a nontaxable sale and then when we upload the tax transaction later manually in avalara the same order will show up twice, once as taxable and once as non-taxable if this is all still clear…

In short, we truly, truly, do not want it to talk to avalara at all. Hence the need to disable.

You might be able to have a BPM enforce this as “True”. ETCOffline = Epicor Tax Connect Offline.

Thank you!!! :pray:

I will mess around with that soon.

Here’s what I got from support:

LOL

Wow.

…Just. Wow.

… only toggle between displaying “Tax Connect On” and “Tax Connect Off” in the lower right.

Like, what? Why would I want a button to display text that it’s off, but it doesn’t really turn it off??

We do the same as Hannah - Created a NTS (non-taxable sales) code. Even though the sale might get sent to Avalara (I haven’t checked), it doesn’t get taxed.

Is the reason you don’t want it going to Avalara at all is that it’ll throw off the reported sales $ to the state, and you don’t want that amount included in the tax return? If it’s non-taxable, I’d think Avalara would route it to the proper box on the form.

I’d have to double check how we handle Amazon too, but I think that is also set to NTS, as I believe Amazon handles tax filing for those sales.

1 Like

Exactly Andris, the thing is the sale is taxable, but we manually upload the transactions into Avalara.

So if you have it being reported as non-taxable and taxable you have double the sales in that state.

I am about to test it in 10.2.500 because I swear it works there.

Looking at the bigger picture, if it’s a taxable sale, Avalara should get it, and calculate it properly. Why is it not correct? You can add rules within Avalara based on part numbers so they get taxes calculated differently based on jurisdiction. We have that for our misc charges for freight, among other issues. Their help folks, coupled with Duane in EpiCare have been able to get us working smoothly.

Andris, it’s more of the fact that we have 10,000 ship-tos for one order and getting that order into Epicor where we can ship against them has been an uphill battle.

Avalara is working perfectly fine, we just can’t find a way to manage these orders where we are shipping to thousands of big box stores around the US- each one wanting a different kit of items that are make to order… So you have the whole process- quotes, order, jobs, shipments, invoices…

Wow, that’s one massive order! Epicor will swear up and down that it’s not limited by # of records, but we’ve seen different and needed to optimize it. Maybe that could be done, with some high level help? We’ve gone to using one-time ship-to’s for our Amazon orders so there aren’t thousands clogging up that customer (and causing a very long load!). Also, we’ve added BPM’s (on GetList, I think) that limit the load where it’s not needed. Maybe there’s some optimization possible with adding indexes also (set up a few hours with Sherman Ladd in Professional Services).

Getting back to the taxes… So you DO have this order (& quote, jobs, shipments, invoices) in Epicor, but you want Avalara to ignore it? Can you do a trace and see where Avalara is called, and intercept that with a BPM to bypass it (might need a result returned, if Epicor expects some handshake to be happy)?

1 Like

We actually DONT have this order in the system. We make a dummy line and a bunch of jobs out there. I can’t even explain it man, I don’t want to because it makes my head spin and it makes me upset. But the truth is we haven’t spent enough time trying to optimize it with help like you said. We gave up and do what we do now.

We use the Tax Liability field on Sales Orders, Customers, Quotes or Invoices that we do not want to be processed by Avalara at all. When Tax Liability is blank, Avalara processes the transaction. When Tax Liability is non-blank, the transaction does not get sent to Avalara at all. We use it for all our international sales (or else Avalara will charge us transaction fees to tell us that there are no US Sales Tax dues on a shipments going to countries outside US, duh).

“Tax Liability” on forms is mapped to TaxRegionCode in the database.

2 Likes

LETTSSSS GOOOO

this body seems unclear

Let me try that out Andrew!