Transfer Reports to Folder

I am having a serious brain fart!

How, in Epicor 10, can I run a report and put that report to a folder in Excel for users without manual intervention? I want Epicor to put the report in a shared folder.

Do I have to use something like BI, Doc-Star? Suggestions are very much welcome.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Starting with Epicor 10.1.600, you can specify a Windows Share where a generated SSRS report can be written out. The Share is specified on the Report Style in the Report Options field. The Option has to begin with “File:” (without the quotes) followed by the Share which must be accessible to the AppPool Identity User from the AppServer generating the report. Here is an example for the Report Option value:

File:\EpicorRptShare\Invoices{Date}{ReportID}{Counter}.pdf

As you can see, there are several Substitutions that can be specified (see Style Detail help for the list) and during the report generation - SSRS Database type reports only - the document created will be added to the System Monitor and also written out to the location specified with the Substitution values replaced with the appropriate value. It does not matter if the Report is submitted for Generate Only, Print, or Preview - the file will also be written to the specified location. If the {Counter} or {Time} Substitutions are not used as part of the path or file name (Counter is only valid as part of the file name), a newly run report will overwrite an older one.

10 Likes

I did not know that could be done. Works like a charm. Thank you Rich!

Hey Rich,

I am trying to send SSRS reports to a network location via the Report Option field in Epicor 10.2. Do you have documentation on how this can be done as you did in your post? Is the path after “File:” relative on the SSRS server? I keep getting an “Unauthorized Server Path” error.

Thanks in advance.

Blake

The Path is relative to the AppServer handling the Report generation. Unless you are using the redirects on the System Agent, this will be the AppServer the Task Agent is running against.

It is the AppPool User Identity for that AppServer that needs to be able to access the Path or Share you specify after the “File:”

Thanks Rich. I will look into this and let you know what I find.

@bmartin interested in knowing what you found?
and @Rich will this work with CSV output option
and is this available to BAQReports or just system RDD reports
thank you !

Hey Al,

I don’t have a complete grasp of how our implementation (AppServer and Report Server are separate) pertain to the error I was receiving, but in my instance I put the following in the Report Options:

File:{Company}{ReportID}Date{Date}{Counter}.xlsx

And it wrote to the User who ran the report’s folder on the AppServer. So I created an account for reports, scheduled them in and our users go to that folder on the Epicor Share. If they really wanted the files elsewhere my hack would be to create a program to move them to a different location.

I do not know if this helps. I am still fairly new to Epicor, so it would be safe to say I am still learning how everything works.

Blake

4 Likes

Thank you - i will give it a try and report back
Much appreciated!

Hey Rich,
Just got off the horn with Epicor support on this. I was configuring my Report Options to try to point to a file share that the app pool identity has full access to.
I was informed this is not possible and that the only place it can print to is the Epicor server>user directory who initiated the report.

I don’t know if something changed (we are on 10.2.200.3) but that’s the message I got. Hopefully someone can refute that

Aaron - I was looking at this with Support two weeks ago and what they told you is unfortunately correct.

It looks to me like one of our Server Hardening sweeps tagged this as an issue and the code was changed to only allow the file to be written relative to the User ID folder under the Server Data Directory specified on System Agent Maintenance. Totally negates one of the use cases it was added for which is to write to “Fiery Hot” folders.

I will raise the issue for review.

2 Likes

Appreciated!

Ditto that appreciation.

Looking forward to allowing Shared Paths again.

1 Like

For preview versions you can find the excel file in C:\Users[UserEpicor]\AppData\Local\Temp\

Out of curiousity, have shared paths been added back into the product? I’m currently on 10.2.300.

I wonder if a symlink would work, if you create a symlink folder “x” and it redirects to a UNC Path.

Server “softening?” Doubtful. :wink:

:thinking:

I guess it goes into the users dir, so its too dynamic… I remember I wanted to setup BarTender Integrations (Commander) or Powershell to monitor the directories for a change and then simply move .pdf’s with a prefix to UNC Path, where it can be processed by another Integration.

For printing ARForm report, can use invoice number in the file name using Report Option field? or is there any other way to create PDF using Invoice Number as the file name?