Updateable Dashboard Deployment Problem

All,

I am having some issues deploying an updateable dashboard.

I made the 2 BAQ’s picked the fields I wanted to be updated, tested all of the fields and all work as expected. I put the BAQ’s in a dashboard changed the settings for both to be updateable. I tested the dashboard using the Deploy Dashboard function, it worked as expected. I deployed the Smart Client Application and this is where my problems start.

First I realized my normal login does not have access to the Epicor server so I logged into my Admin account. The deploy completed without an issue. When I go to add the dashboard as a menu item I select Dashboard Assembly and when I try to select my updatable dashboard it is not there. There are however two items that are there but when I click on those it tells me they do not exist.

I have looked in the location where the CustomDLL’s are supposed to reside but there isn’t a folder named CustomDLL’s there. I did check my local drive in the Program Data folder Epicor folder that when I deploy there is a CustomDLL’s folder but it only puts a Custom01 Personalization DLL there and not my Dashboard. When I check the dashboards folder my dashboard is there. The process that I expect to create a DLL does not create one. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? I have read a few things suggesting that a System Agent has to be setup properly for Updateable DB’s to deploy correctly. Could this be my problem? If you need more details please let me know.

Thank You
Shawn J

Hi Shawn,

I have some updateable dashboards deployed to main manu as dashboard assemblies. We are in E10, but they were initial developed in E9. I think they were dashboard assemblies then too…
See below menu maintenance for one of ours now in E10. I do recall in E9 that there was one location that all of databases on same SQL server (eg test, training) deployed to, so it was occasionally problematic, with accidentally whacking a Production dashboard while in test. We never found a means to save the custom DLL to a different location for prod vs test vs training databases, in E9.
I think if I were you, I would export it, delete it from your database. Re-Import it and call it something different and make sure you are logged in with required privileges to deploy the DLL and redeploy.

I have found working with dashboards exceptionally fussy in E9, but somewhat less so in E10.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thank you for the reply.

I guess my problem here is that I do not know where the updateable dashboards are being deployed. The error tells me that its located on what we call our App server but I cannot find the folder in the location it says.

I know how to export a dashboard and re-import it but I am not sure what deploying the DLL entails.

Thanks
Shawn Jordan

Hi Shawn,

I suspect that when you deploy the dashboard assembly, it saves a DLL of the compiled dashboard to the server. I think in E9 the folder was a folder called CustomDLLs and it was around the same location as the custom reports folder for customized crystal rpts. Looking at an old email, I had it down as [\ERP-DB-01\EPICOR904\Server\CustomDLLs] which I think was \ServerName\DatabaseName\Server\CustomDLLs

I used to check in the folder to see the recently deployed DLL of the dashboard.

Nancy

Nancy,

This seems to be part of my problem when I go to the location that you specified I find everything up until the CustomDLLs folder. It does not exist on the server.

I check in the system agent to see the server file directory and it is a local drive and not a server drive. I wonder if this is my problem. I can test it but I need to warn everyone first.

Thanks
Shawn J

Server file directory is the drive letter on the server and can be local. I am still 905 and my CustomDLLs directory is where Nancy shows.

Have you tried to search for an existing updatable dashboard assembly name on the server to see where it is?

Greg,

I have found the location of where the CustomDLLs folder is supposed to be but on our “Live” environment there actually isn’t a CustomDLLs folder at all. When I checked our “Test” environment there is a folder but I am trying to figure out security permissions as it wont let me write to the file. The security permissions will be up to the Network Engineer but I am curios as to why there is no folder in the Live environment. I keep going back to having something set up incorrectly and that is why I am unable to do this.

Any ideas?

Thank You
Shawn

There has to be a folder or you would not be able to run any dashboard assemblies, updateable or not. Without this you would not have the ability to use copy to excel from any dashboard. Can you find a dll from the menu and ask your IT to search the server for it?

OK, with permissions squared away I have found that when deploying a smart client application there is no DLL being generated in the CustomDLL’s folder. I am sure that I have the right location thanks to Nancy and Greg but I do not understand why a DLL is not being generated.

Any help is welcome. Thanks

I just looked at the process since I never had watched it happen. On my pc in
C:\ProgramData\Epicor\cl-devapp9-9421\9.05.702A\COMP01\CustomDLLs
a dll with a guid is created and then that dll is copied to the server.

UpdatePartBin.380d75b7-328f-4c1c-9a8b-3bc1b5d0c0c7.DBTracker.CustomCode.dll
became
Epicor.Mfg.UI.App.UpdatePartBin.dll

Does the local dll get created? If it is then the issue is still likely with permissions on the copy.

I would with Epicor closed erase the entire ProgramData\Epicor directory. We call that the super clear cache and it clears any old data that could be causing issues not just what Epicor clears with clear client cache. The directory is remade when Epicor starts.

1 Like

Greg,

Thank you for the reply again.

I checked in the program data folder on my local drive and found that the DLL is not being created there either. It is creating a DLL but it does not seem related to what I am trying to deploy.

UI.App.BAQDiagramForm.EP.KCC.Personalization.SJORDAN.CustomCode.0.dll

It may be possible that something needs to be setup for this stuff to work properly but I am not aware on how that is done.

Thanks
Shawn J

Hi Shawn,

I still think you might have a privilege problem. Can you try and get your IT person to deploy the dashboard assembly and then see if it’s there?

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I have talked to our DB guy and he is going to grant me the right permissions.

The weird thing is that I have an Admin account with access to everything but when I use that account I cannot even test the Dashboard using the Test Application Button on the Deploy Dashboard screen. Also when I deploy from my admin account there is no DLL’s created, not even the one listed in my previous post.

I work in IT and that is how I have an admin account, but my rights do not go far enough to grant myself access to things.

When I get the permissions squared away, I will update the post but I am still curious about things being set up correctly.

This is a new company for me and one that has never used an updateable dashboard or any dashboard assemblies and that is why I am wondering if the set up is the issue.

Thanks again
Shawn J

1 Like