Upgrade Plan - Thoughts?

Sue and Jose, thanks for your input. That helps considerably.Â

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 3:47 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Upgrade Plan - Thoughts?

I also found the solutions to be very helpful even though they aren't 100% yet. They brought in all E9
 customizations, dashboards, BAQs, etc. and saved me a ton of time.

I had lists of things to do after applying the solutions to the converted database; some may be the same for you.
I had to re-deploy dashboard assemblies.
I used an updateable dashboard and a spreadsheet to update the customization to be used in menu security; the customizations came over with the solution, but I had to tell the menu item to use it.
I changed BAM paths.
I updated extended properties thru updateable dashboards and spreadsheets.
I checked BPMs; I had 2 BPMs that wouldn't come over with the solution, the rest came over fine.
I checked RDDs; I had 3 that I had to re-add a table, a relationship, and some fields, the rest came over fine.
I set default report styles.
I copied and pasted new required CRM info into tables from spreadsheets.
I had a list of new company/plant settings that needed to be set or fixed.

I practiced a lot and knew how much time the conversion steps took. I was able to set a conversion "schedule" that helped me know when I could leave because the step would take a number of hours and when I should stay and babysit.I started at 4:00pm on a Friday night and finished the conversion with plenty of time to spare on Sunday. Our Vantage db was 4-5 GB and we upgraded to 9.05.701.

Sue

I'm currently on 8.03.409C-Progress and upgrading to 9.05.700C.

Out of all the upgrades and implementations I've done in my career, this one is slightly different and I'm curious what others may have done in this circumstance.

My current 8.03 server is in place.  I've built a new server and have 8.03 on it.  I plan to upgrade the new server to 9.05 and run parallel for a couple weeks of testing.  Then I plan to point everyone's client to the "new server". 

OK, so that all sounds good.  But here's my question:  Once I give the new server the "green light" and it's time to permanently switch to the new box running 9.05, I'll obviously need to restore the most recent database to it for "go live".  How would I then take my 8.03 db and restore it to the 9.05 db?  I certainly realize there's a bunch of schema and version changes and a simple PROREST won't do it.

Has anyone ever done this before?  How have you only upgraded the database?  I guess I probably could lean on Epicor for conversion, but other than that, what clever options have any of you done?

TIA.

Vic,
All you have to do is re-run the conversion process. (This process takes many hours depending on the DB size) you also want to export out all your customization etc from the new 9.05 DB and after you run the conversions you'll want to put them back. It should og something like this

Test 9.05 thoroughly

Backup 9.05 DB and export out Customizations, BPM, BAQ Reports, Custom RDDs etc…

Backup your 8.03 DB

Restore your 8.03 DB onto your 9.05 Server (through the conversion process) You'll have to run the conversion upgrade utility pass through 9.04 and all that jazz

Run the Schema Changes

Run the DB Conversions

Restore your Customizations, BPMs, BAQ Report, Custom RDDs taht you backed up from your old 9.05 db

Fix Menu Items
Fix Report MenusÂ

Go Live

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

E: jose@...
http://www.josecgomez.com

Â

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM, 'Vic Drecchio' vic.drecchio@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p></p><div><p class="ygrps-yiv-1569357336MsoNormal">I&#39;m currently on 8.03.409C-Progress and upgrading to 9.05.700C.<u></u><u></u></p><p class="ygrps-yiv-1569357336MsoNormal"><u></u>Â <u></u></p><p class="ygrps-yiv-1569357336MsoNormal">Out of all the upgrades and implementations I&#39;ve done in my career, this one is slightly different and I&#39;m curious what others may have done in this circumstance.<u></u><u></u></p>

Â

My current 8.03 server is in place. I've built a new server and have 8.03 on it. I plan to upgrade the new server to 9.05 and run parallel for a couple weeks of testing. Then I plan to point everyone's client to the "new server".Â

Â

OK, so that all sounds good. But here's my question: Once I give the new server the "green light" and it's time to permanently switch to the new box running 9.05, I'll obviously need to restore the most recent database to it for "go live". How would I then take my 8.03 db and restore it to the 9.05 db? I certainly realize there's a bunch of schema and version changes and a simple PROREST won't do it.

Â

Has anyone ever done this before? How have you only upgraded the database? I guess I probably could lean on Epicor for conversion, but other than that, what clever options have any of you done?

Â

TIA.

Â

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

I also found the solutions to be very helpful even though they aren't 100% yet. They brought in all E9
 customizations, dashboards, BAQs, etc. and saved me a ton of time.

I had lists of things to do after applying the solutions to the converted database; some may be the same for you.
I had to re-deploy dashboard assemblies.
I used an updateable dashboard and a spreadsheet to update the customization to be used in menu security; the customizations came over with the solution, but I had to tell the menu item to use it.
I changed BAM paths.
I updated extended properties thru updateable dashboards and spreadsheets.
I checked BPMs; I had 2 BPMs that wouldn't come over with the solution, the rest came over fine.
I checked RDDs; I had 3 that I had to re-add a table, a relationship, and some fields, the rest came over fine.
I set default report styles.
I copied and pasted new required CRM info into tables from spreadsheets.
I had a list of new company/plant settings that needed to be set or fixed.

I practiced a lot and knew how much time the conversion steps took. I was able to set a conversion "schedule" that helped me know when I could leave because the step would take a number of hours and when I should stay and babysit.I started at 4:00pm on a Friday night and finished the conversion with plenty of time to spare on Sunday. Our Vantage db was 4-5 GB and we upgraded to 9.05.701.

Sue