V8 Configurator - Am I missing something

You can use an 'IF/THEN/ELSE" conditional within your string, ie:

Model = "Something" + "Something" + ( If (condition satisfied) then ("-") else ("") ) + "Something"

jslate72 <jslate@...> wrote:
Mark,

You can change the format for each input selected. It is pretty
flexible.

Jeremy

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wonsil" <mark_wonsil@...>
wrote:
>
> > You can turn the "-" seperator off. It is on the smart string
tab.
> > Just set it to none. If you want it between some of them you can
set
> > that up in the format.
>
> I hadn't thought about the format. Although, there are times when
an item is
> optional, can I set the format to forgo the "-" for certain values?
>
> For an example of our "smart" string, you can download a PDF from
the download
> literature portion of this page:
> http://www.flowmeters.com/products/index.cfm?task=pgDetail&pgID=63
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark W.
>






---------------------------------
TV dinner still cooling?
Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Like many configuration-based companies, we run into the situation where we
come across a configuration or option that we've never built before. Sometimes
this means new part numbers for components. This particular product line
always contains 5 major components. If there is no parts chosen with the
KEEP-WHEN logic then the BOM is wrong. I though I'd be clever and do a SET
FIELD rule after the KEEP WHEN rule and set a CHECKBOX in the header when a
major component is chosen, but there are no SET FIELD functions on (un)related
materials.

So how do others handle this situation? How can I make sure that at least one
component from a group is chosen? Can I call a progress routine to set the
value of JobAssembly and QuoteAssembly?

Thanks,

Mark W.
Not sure I understand, do you have Keep When Rules for all parts in the BOM?
You may not be able to set-fields from a progress routine, depending on your licensing.
I tried to change a Part Description from a Progress routine - for a part number that is created 'new' thru the configurator, but we don't have the 'development' licensing required.
(ver 6.11)

Bill J.

Mark Wonsil <mark_wonsil@...> wrote:
Like many configuration-based companies, we run into the situation where we
come across a configuration or option that we've never built before. Sometimes
this means new part numbers for components. This particular product line
always contains 5 major components. If there is no parts chosen with the
KEEP-WHEN logic then the BOM is wrong. I though I'd be clever and do a SET
FIELD rule after the KEEP WHEN rule and set a CHECKBOX in the header when a
major component is chosen, but there are no SET FIELD functions on (un)related
materials.

So how do others handle this situation? How can I make sure that at least one
component from a group is chosen? Can I call a progress routine to set the
value of JobAssembly and QuoteAssembly?

Thanks,

Mark W.






---------------------------------
Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> Not sure I understand, do you have Keep When Rules for all parts in the BOM?
> You may not be able to set-fields from a progress routine, depending on your
> licensing.

It's a case where the salesmen are further along than manufacturing - or does
that only happen to us? :-o

We make flow meters in a multitude of materials, sizes, threads, flow
direction, etc. Each of these options leads to a different BOM. Our "Universal
BOM" contains the parts that we've already made but every so often you get the
"We've never done that in aluminum before..." So, in this case, there won't be
a part in the Universal BOM and therefore, there will never be a Keep When to
run.

Make sense?

I was running some Progress code that took a field as input and set the value
from another parameter:

Run pc/util/setDecimal.p 10.0, JobAsmbl.Numer01

To simulate a SetField rule. It worked a couple of times but I haven't got it
to work since... TMMWNBAW*

> Bill J.

Any relation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BJ_and_Dirty_Dragon_Show


* Too much multi-tasking while not being a woman...
Mark,

How about place holder parts you replace the part with
the actual one you will be using set field on the part number then
getpart details.



This can be useful in these scenarios, you can then first create the
part in part master if its not already there then with a dynamic lookup,
or just an "or Other PartNumber" text box this will replace the field.



To execute custom progress code that writes to the database you need to
have a the full version of open edge to compile it but it may be
possible to

Find a procedure you can use that does what you need...



Regards,

Stephen Edginton



From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Mark Wonsil
Sent: 24 May 2007 19:58
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] V8 Configurator - Am I missing something...



> Not sure I understand, do you have Keep When Rules for all parts in
the BOM?
> You may not be able to set-fields from a progress routine, depending
on your
> licensing.

It's a case where the salesmen are further along than manufacturing - or
does
that only happen to us? :-o

We make flow meters in a multitude of materials, sizes, threads, flow
direction, etc. Each of these options leads to a different BOM. Our
"Universal
BOM" contains the parts that we've already made but every so often you
get the
"We've never done that in aluminum before..." So, in this case, there
won't be
a part in the Universal BOM and therefore, there will never be a Keep
When to
run.

Make sense?

I was running some Progress code that took a field as input and set the
value
from another parameter:

Run pc/util/setDecimal.p 10.0, JobAsmbl.Numer01

To simulate a SetField rule. It worked a couple of times but I haven't
got it
to work since... TMMWNBAW*

> Bill J.

Any relation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BJ_and_Dirty_Dragon_Show

* Too much multi-tasking while not being a woman...





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> How about place holder parts you replace the part with
> the actual one you will be using set field on the part number then
> getpart details.
>
> This can be useful in these scenarios, you can then first create the
> part in part master if its not already there then with a dynamic lookup,
> or just an "or Other PartNumber" text box this will replace the field.

I like this and for those cases where the sales person knows that the part
doesn't exist this is will work.

> To execute custom progress code that writes to the database you need to
> have a the full version of open edge to compile it but it may be
> possible to find a procedure you can use that does what you need...

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm NOT trying to write to the database directly. I
was hoping to have a SetField rule at the material level, alas, it's only
available for the assembly level. At the material level, you have the option
to run code, so I wrote a simple Progress script that looks like this:

define input parameter inVal as decimal.
define output parameter outVal as decimal.

outVal = inVal.

I saved the file as setDecimal.p and used a Run Code Rule like this:

setDecimal.p 10.0, JobAsmbl.Number01

This passes the currently available JabAsmbl buffer to the progress routine
which should update the field passed to it. I am not writing directly to the
database but just trying to alter the database buffer available while the
configurator runs.

My goal was to assign a user-defined field a value based on what the
configurator found. For example, if each of my units needs a housing, I would
put two rules for that material:

10 Keep When (keep-this-housing-condition)
20 run code setDecimal.p 1.0, JobAsmbl.Number01

When the configurator runs, if no housings were selected through Keep When
rules then JobAsmbl.Number01 would remain zero. In Job Entry, I was going to
display the user-defined fields so the planner would know at a glance if the
housing was chosen. Of course, I'm making the assumption that if the keep when
rule fails then the second rule doesn't run...

Thanks,

Mark W.
Mark,

Another approach my be to create an editor field inside the
configurator. You can then populate this with an on-leave statement
from one of your last inputs. You would use combine strings. You
can then set this field at the assembly level to a userdefined field
that would show up for job entry. You can also format this somewhat
using ~n for return and ~t for tab.

Here is an example on-leave that I used to set some storage locations

p02_edt_storagelocation = (("SL7 " + p01_cmb_SL7 + ("~t SL14 " +
(p01_cmb_SL14 + ("~n" + "SL6 " + ((((p01_cmb_SL6 + "~t SL13 ") +
p01_cmb_SL13) + ((("~n" + "SL5 " + p01_cmb_SL5) + "~t SL12 ") +
p01_cmb_SL12)) + ((("~n" + "SL4 " + p01_cmb_SL4) + "~t SL11 ") +
((p01_cmb_SL11 + "~n") + ((("SL3 " + p01_cmb_SL3 + "~t SL10 ") +
p01_cmb_SL10) + (("~n" + "SL2 " + p01_cmb_SL2) + ((("~t SL09 " +
p01_cmb_SL9) + "~n") + ("SL1 " + p01_cmb_SL1 + ("~t SL08 " +
p01_cmb_SL8)))))))))))))

Jeremy Slate
Senior Product Engineer
Helmer, Inc.
15425 Herriman Boulevard Noblesville, IN 46060
jslate@...


--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wonsil" <mark_wonsil@...>
wrote:
>
> > How about place holder parts you replace the part with
> > the actual one you will be using set field on the part number
then
> > getpart details.
> >
> > This can be useful in these scenarios, you can then first create
the
> > part in part master if its not already there then with a dynamic
lookup,
> > or just an "or Other PartNumber" text box this will replace the
field.
>
> I like this and for those cases where the sales person knows that
the part
> doesn't exist this is will work.
>
> > To execute custom progress code that writes to the database you
need to
> > have a the full version of open edge to compile it but it may be
> > possible to find a procedure you can use that does what you
need...
>
> I guess I wasn't clear. I'm NOT trying to write to the database
directly. I
> was hoping to have a SetField rule at the material level, alas,
it's only
> available for the assembly level. At the material level, you have
the option
> to run code, so I wrote a simple Progress script that looks like
this:
>
> define input parameter inVal as decimal.
> define output parameter outVal as decimal.
>
> outVal = inVal.
>
> I saved the file as setDecimal.p and used a Run Code Rule like
this:
>
> setDecimal.p 10.0, JobAsmbl.Number01
>
> This passes the currently available JabAsmbl buffer to the
progress routine
> which should update the field passed to it. I am not writing
directly to the
> database but just trying to alter the database buffer available
while the
> configurator runs.
>
> My goal was to assign a user-defined field a value based on what
the
> configurator found. For example, if each of my units needs a
housing, I would
> put two rules for that material:
>
> 10 Keep When (keep-this-housing-condition)
> 20 run code setDecimal.p 1.0, JobAsmbl.Number01
>
> When the configurator runs, if no housings were selected through
Keep When
> rules then JobAsmbl.Number01 would remain zero. In Job Entry, I
was going to
> display the user-defined fields so the planner would know at a
glance if the
> housing was chosen. Of course, I'm making the assumption that if
the keep when
> rule fails then the second rule doesn't run...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark W.
>
> Another approach my be to create an editor field inside the
> configurator. You can then populate this with an on-leave statement
> from one of your last inputs. You would use combine strings. You
> can then set this field at the assembly level to a userdefined field
> that would show up for job entry. You can also format this somewhat
> using ~n for return and ~t for tab.

I have been doing something like this to create my own "Smart String" because
we don't put a "-" between every parameter.

This may be the way to go since there is some logic to the materials, size,
thread - although, like most of these part naming systems, it has broken down
over the years.

Thanks for the input.

Mark W.

(Participating of staying away from the 500 this year?)
> I have been doing something like this to create my own "Smart
String" because
> we don't put a "-" between every parameter.
>

Mark,

You can turn the "-" seperator off. It is on the smart string tab.
Just set it to none. If you want it between some of them you can set
that up in the format.

Jeremy
> You can turn the "-" seperator off. It is on the smart string tab.
> Just set it to none. If you want it between some of them you can set
> that up in the format.

I hadn't thought about the format. Although, there are times when an item is
optional, can I set the format to forgo the "-" for certain values?

For an example of our "smart" string, you can download a PDF from the download
literature portion of this page:
http://www.flowmeters.com/products/index.cfm?task=pgDetail&pgID=63

Thanks,

Mark W.
Does anyone know how to turn off the "Change Log" in
Vantage 6.1? Whenever we create a job or do simple
tasks, a box pops up to document the change, but most
of the time its just an annoyance.

Thanks.

Dwight Jones
IRP, Inc.



____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469
Hi,

I think it is in
Company maintenance
Module Configuration
Job Management Configuration

* Create Audit Log *

Please test it though. I think you can still log the changes through
a BAM, if required.



--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, D Jones <mayorjones_2000@...> wrote:
>
>
> Does anyone know how to turn off the "Change Log" in
> Vantage 6.1? Whenever we create a job or do simple
> tasks, a box pops up to document the change, but most
> of the time its just an annoyance.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dwight Jones
> IRP, Inc.
>
>
>
>
______________________________________________________________________
______________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers
from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
> http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469
>
Mark,

You can change the format for each input selected. It is pretty
flexible.

Jeremy

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wonsil" <mark_wonsil@...>
wrote:
>
> > You can turn the "-" seperator off. It is on the smart string
tab.
> > Just set it to none. If you want it between some of them you can
set
> > that up in the format.
>
> I hadn't thought about the format. Although, there are times when
an item is
> optional, can I set the format to forgo the "-" for certain values?
>
> For an example of our "smart" string, you can download a PDF from
the download
> literature portion of this page:
> http://www.flowmeters.com/products/index.cfm?task=pgDetail&pgID=63
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark W.
>
> You can change the format for each input selected. It is pretty
> flexible.

Thanks Jeremy. I just didn't want a "smart" string that ended up looking like:

SN-ASB40GPM-----AW2X-------Z86------20D--

:-/

Mark W.
That took care of it. Thanks Bryan!

Dwight



--- brychanwilliams <brychanw@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it is in
> Company maintenance
> Module Configuration
> Job Management Configuration
>
> * Create Audit Log *
>
> Please test it though. I think you can still log the
> changes through
> a BAM, if required.
>
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, D Jones
> <mayorjones_2000@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Does anyone know how to turn off the "Change Log"
> in
> > Vantage 6.1? Whenever we create a job or do
> simple
> > tasks, a box pops up to document the change, but
> most
> > of the time its just an annoyance.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dwight Jones
> > IRP, Inc.
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
______________________________________________________________________
> ______________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better
> travel answers
> from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it
> out.
> >
>
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469
> >
>
>
>




____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469