Vantage 4.0 and 5.20/P9.1D on same workstation

Hi Todd,
It should be similar to previous installs of two versions of progress/vantage. You should have separate mapped drive letters for each install, of course. Also, you can add the path X:\epic52\vantage\Vantage.exe X:\epic51\vantage\Vantage.vtg to your 5.2 icons, and something similar (corrected path) to your 4.0 icons so that the correct splash screens come up for each version. Users freak out when they launch their old icon, and suddenly see the "NEW" splash screen come on. They think they are in the wrong version. After installin 5.2, you may notice that you old icons suddenly change to something different. You can revert the icons back to their previous state by right-clicking the Vantage icon, select properties, and then click Change icon. I have found that you need to find a DIFFERENT icon name (even if the icon looks the same) or it will not change the icon. Vantage icons are in the BITMAP folder of Vantage.

The actual client install of Vantage 5.2 should be somewhat similar to your install of Vantage 4.0.

One other suggestion: Rename your test database "company name" so that there is a clear indication that it is a test database, not the real thing. Changing the colors on the test database menus helps differentiate as well.

Troy Funte
Liberty Electronics

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Vantage@...'
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 2:05 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 4.0 and 5.20/P9.1D on same workstation

As soon as I receive 5.20 w/Progress 9.1D I will load it on my test server
(now at 5.10) and be ready for users to examine the differences from 4.0.
Can I load Vantage 5.20 client on PCs also running our production system on
Vantage 4.0/Progress 9.0B? If possible any tricks to doing this? Otherwise
I will have to setup a couple dedicated "test" workstations for us to learn
on and revise procedures before we make the leap in October.

Thanks,
-Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/links

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

As soon as I receive 5.20 w/Progress 9.1D I will load it on my test server
(now at 5.10) and be ready for users to examine the differences from 4.0.
Can I load Vantage 5.20 client on PCs also running our production system on
Vantage 4.0/Progress 9.0B? If possible any tricks to doing this? Otherwise
I will have to setup a couple dedicated "test" workstations for us to learn
on and revise procedures before we make the leap in October.

Thanks,
-Todd Caughey
Harvey Vogel Mfg. Co.