Vantage 6.1 slow logons

When you make changes to your Server configuration, you must make the corresponding change to the Switch configuration for that port.

Any mismatch will definately cause problems.

Are you using a single network connection from your Server ?

What is your Server and Switch brand ?

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "dupuismd" <mark@...> wrote:
>
> We are using half duplex but just tried the full duplex and it slowed down even our fast people? Go figure.
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gotschall <sgotschall@> wrote:
> >
> > I ran across something recently from Epicor that stated Vantage runs better using half duplex instead of full duplex. I didn't understand stand why, and we never had a problem at full duplex on a gb switch, but I'm wondering if some of the speed issues some people have has to do with the type of switch and maybe changeing to half duplex will help.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: dupuismd <mark@>
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:52:49 PM
> > Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 6.1 slow logons
> >
> > ÂÂ
> > Hello group
> > We too have had speed issues develope over the last weeks. Logons went from 15sec to 5 minutes. It seems once users are in things are ok.
> > There have been 2 events recently that could be related. 1) we put the server on a gb switch instead of the 100mps it was on. 2) The entire neighborhood went without power for 10 hours or so. We have found that a few users still have a 10 sec logons. It turns out they are on the same switch as the DB or another GB switch. We can move a user from a 100mp to the gb switch and their logon goes from 5 min to 10 sec. So we have focused on the switch stacks but don't see where the issue is?
> >
> > Anyone run in to this before?
> > TIA
> > Mark D
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
Hello group
We too have had speed issues develope over the last weeks. Logons went from 15sec to 5 minutes. It seems once users are in things are ok.
There have been 2 events recently that could be related. 1) we put the server on a gb switch instead of the 100mps it was on. 2) The entire neighborhood went without power for 10 hours or so. We have found that a few users still have a 10 sec logons. It turns out they are on the same switch as the DB or another GB switch. We can move a user from a 100mp to the gb switch and their logon goes from 5 min to 10 sec. So we have focused on the switch stacks but don't see where the issue is?

Anyone run in to this before?
TIA
Mark D
On version 6.1 we use to have login times of 2 to 3 minutes. After upgrading to a new Cisco network they dropped to 15 to 30 seconds.

Just FYI

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dupuismd
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:53 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 6.1 slow logons

Hello group
We too have had speed issues develope over the last weeks. Logons went from 15sec to 5 minutes. It seems once users are in things are ok.
There have been 2 events recently that could be related. 1) we put the server on a gb switch instead of the 100mps it was on. 2) The entire neighborhood went without power for 10 hours or so. We have found that a few users still have a 10 sec logons. It turns out they are on the same switch as the DB or another GB switch. We can move a user from a 100mp to the gb switch and their logon goes from 5 min to 10 sec. So we have focused on the switch stacks but don't see where the issue is?

TIA
Mark D

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
The first thought that comes to mind is make sure you server's network card is set to the GB speed and not auto detect.
I'm wondering if there is some conflicts with addresses due to the outage. Did the equipment come up in an orderly fashion or did everything just turn on. If all else fails you might try shutting everything down, then turning the equipment on in a logical order.
Nancy

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dupuismd
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:53 PM

Hello group

TIA
Mark D

I ran across something recently from Epicor that stated Vantage runs better using half duplex instead of full duplex. I didn't understand stand why, and we never had a problem at full duplex on a gb switch, but I'm wondering if some of the speed issues some people have has to do with the type of switch and maybe changeing to half duplex will help.

Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:52:49 PM

Â
Hello group

TIA
Mark D

We have a couple gb switches coming in tommorrow, I don't see us redoing our entire network, it would be nice though.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lipham <pml@...> wrote:
>
> On version 6.1 we use to have login times of 2 to 3 minutes. After upgrading to a new Cisco network they dropped to 15 to 30 seconds.
>
> Just FYI
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dupuismd
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:53 PM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Vantage] Vantage 6.1 slow logons
>
>
>
> Hello group
> We too have had speed issues develope over the last weeks. Logons went from 15sec to 5 minutes. It seems once users are in things are ok.
> There have been 2 events recently that could be related. 1) we put the server on a gb switch instead of the 100mps it was on. 2) The entire neighborhood went without power for 10 hours or so. We have found that a few users still have a 10 sec logons. It turns out they are on the same switch as the DB or another GB switch. We can move a user from a 100mp to the gb switch and their logon goes from 5 min to 10 sec. So we have focused on the switch stacks but don't see where the issue is?
>
> Anyone run in to this before?
> TIA
> Mark D
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
We are using half duplex but just tried the full duplex and it slowed down even our fast people? Go figure.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gotschall <sgotschall@...> wrote:
>
> I ran across something recently from Epicor that stated Vantage runs better using half duplex instead of full duplex. I didn't understand stand why, and we never had a problem at full duplex on a gb switch, but I'm wondering if some of the speed issues some people have has to do with the type of switch and maybe changeing to half duplex will help.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: dupuismd <mark@...>
> Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 2:52:49 PM
>
> ÂÂ
> Hello group
> We too have had speed issues develope over the last weeks. Logons went from 15sec to 5 minutes. It seems once users are in things are ok.
> There have been 2 events recently that could be related. 1) we put the server on a gb switch instead of the 100mps it was on. 2) The entire neighborhood went without power for 10 hours or so. We have found that a few users still have a 10 sec logons. It turns out they are on the same switch as the DB or another GB switch. We can move a user from a 100mp to the gb switch and their logon goes from 5 min to 10 sec. So we have focused on the switch stacks but don't see where the issue is?
>
> TIA
> Mark D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
We plan on rebooting the switches tonight and the server card is set to gb.
Thanks

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Dunn, Nancy" <ndunn@...> wrote:
>
> The first thought that comes to mind is make sure you server's network card is set to the GB speed and not auto detect.
> I'm wondering if there is some conflicts with addresses due to the outage. Did the equipment come up in an orderly fashion or did everything just turn on. If all else fails you might try shutting everything down, then turning the equipment on in a logical order.
> Nancy
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dupuismd
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:53 PM
>
>
>
> Hello group
>
> TIA
> Mark D
>
>
>
>
Failure of network links to auto negotiate speed and duplex can cause these type of problems. Even if the server's network adapter is set to force 1000 Mbps, the port that the server is plugged into on the switch may also need to be forced to that setting. I have seen this type of behavior before, especially with Riverbed Steelhead WAN accelerators.

What brand/model of switches are they? I've seen some cisco switches that wouldn't auto-negotiate properly with HP gigabit network adapters.

If you logon to Vantage directly on the server, do you still have a long delay? If logon speed is fine on the server, it may be that the server link is fine, but the network adapters in the workstations aren't auto-negotiating speed and duplex properly. Try forcing 1000Mbps with Full duplex on one of the slow workstations as well as on the port on the switch that that workstation is attached to.

Andy Moss

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "dupuismd" <mark@...> wrote:
>
> We plan on rebooting the switches tonight and the server card is set to gb.
> Thanks
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Dunn, Nancy" <ndunn@> wrote:
> >
> > The first thought that comes to mind is make sure you server's network card is set to the GB speed and not auto detect.
> > I'm wondering if there is some conflicts with addresses due to the outage. Did the equipment come up in an orderly fashion or did everything just turn on. If all else fails you might try shutting everything down, then turning the equipment on in a logical order.
> > Nancy
> >
> > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dupuismd
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:53 PM
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
> >
> >
> >
> > Hello group
> > We too have had speed issues develope over the last weeks. Logons went from 15sec to 5 minutes. It seems once users are in things are ok.
> > There have been 2 events recently that could be related. 1) we put the server on a gb switch instead of the 100mps it was on. 2) The entire neighborhood went without power for 10 hours or so. We have found that a few users still have a 10 sec logons. It turns out they are on the same switch as the DB or another GB switch. We can move a user from a 100mp to the gb switch and their logon goes from 5 min to 10 sec. So we have focused on the switch stacks but don't see where the issue is?
> >
> > TIA
> > Mark D
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
I spent years introducing new GB switches, etc. We have been on Vantage since version 2.4 in 1996. When the owner wanted a new phone system (VoIP) we had to get managed switches. The phones have their own subnet or actually VLan. We are on private IP addresses behind a firewall that is doing NAT ( Network address translation ). In doing this all my servers are on a Vlan separate from the wireless phones and separate from the workstations. In setting up the Vlan they give priority to the phones and the servers. This is what I think really makes a network fly in terms of speed. We had a very noticeable difference. I would suggest to anyone to get managed switches and have a network engineer do the initial configuration. After you see this it's really not that hard to manage. I had one day of training in house on how to configure the switches and have handled it all myself after the initial setup.

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:59 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Vantage 6.1 slow logons

We have a couple gb switches coming in tommorrow, I don't see us redoing our entire network, it would be nice though.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul Lipham <pml@...> wrote:
>
> On version 6.1 we use to have login times of 2 to 3 minutes. After upgrading to a new Cisco network they dropped to 15 to 30 seconds.
>
> Just FYI
>
> From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of dupuismd
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:53 PM
> To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
>
>
>
> Hello group
>
> TIA
> Mark D
>
>
>
>

We were able to solve the issue by moving the server to a different bank of switches. We have not found any obvious problem with the original setup or switches.
Mark D

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lipham <pml@...> wrote:
>
> I spent years introducing new GB switches, etc. We have been on Vantage since version 2.4 in 1996. When the owner wanted a new phone system (VoIP) we had to get managed switches. The phones have their own subnet or actually VLan. We are on private IP addresses behind a firewall that is doing NAT ( Network address translation ). In doing this all my servers are on a Vlan separate from the wireless phones and separate from the workstations. In setting up the Vlan they give priority to the phones and the servers. This is what I think really makes a network fly in terms of speed. We had a very noticeable difference. I would suggest to anyone to get managed switches and have a network engineer do the initial configuration. After you see this it's really not that hard to manage. I had one day of training in house on how to configure the switches and have handled it all myself after the initial setup.
>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:59 PM
> Subject: [Vantage] Re: Vantage 6.1 slow logons
>
>
>
> We have a couple gb switches coming in tommorrow, I don't see us redoing our entire network, it would be nice though.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul Lipham <pml@> wrote:
> >
> > On version 6.1 we use to have login times of 2 to 3 minutes. After upgrading to a new Cisco network they dropped to 15 to 30 seconds.
> >
> > Just FYI
> >
> > From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of dupuismd
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:53 PM
> > To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
> >
> >
> >
> > Hello group
> >
> > TIA
> > Mark D
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
I am guessing that you have the Servers and some Workstations connecting directly to the new GB Switch. The other switches are probably feeding off the GB Switch in a "Hub and Spoke" configuration ?

Make sure that the network settings for the ports that connect the GB Switch to the "Slave" Switches are FORCED on both sides to 100BM.

Do NOT allow these connections to be set to Auto at Either end.

If you are using Network TEAMing (Trunking - Link Aggregation), make sure that they are configured correctly, watch for other settings like Spanning Tree Protocol that can also cause headaches.

The connections from the Switch to the PC are probably OK set to Auto.

Neil

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Dunn, Nancy" <ndunn@...> wrote:
>
> The first thought that comes to mind is make sure you server's network card is set to the GB speed and not auto detect.
> I'm wondering if there is some conflicts with addresses due to the outage. Did the equipment come up in an orderly fashion or did everything just turn on. If all else fails you might try shutting everything down, then turning the equipment on in a logical order.
> Nancy
>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:53 PM
>
>
>
> Hello group
>
> TIA
> Mark D
>
>
>
>