What could be the best solution/approach for web application for Epicor(Mainly use on Mobile/Tablet)?

The problem is I don’t want to use Epicor screens/dashboard as user complaints about the Epicor speed.
Can anyone suggest what could be the solution to this?
What if we create an application web application that can use Epicor web service or restful services?.
Please advise.

Regards
Dnyanraj Patil

1 Like

So you literally want to re-create the wheel for Epicor because the end user expects it to be faster?
Create a web app for small little ones and twos bits for VERY specific use cases sure but build an ENTIRE client? That is the definition of insanity my good man. Perhaps you should explore what is causing Epicor to be slow for your customer instead of going down the worst possible path to solve a user annoyance.

3 Likes

We have found that our client PCs require specific components to get the UI pumping quickly. Sure there are parts of Epicor that are slow but not so much so that it’s unbearable. The hardest transition is going from something as quick as say AS400 and going to Epicor but that would be hard for any ERP switch

1 Like

On Prem and Verison 10 and there are complaints about slowness? The performance needs investigation. Start with the Epicor provided Diagnostic & Performance Tool and clear all errors first. There is also a Network test in there as well.
Then get a short list of specific UI or action that users say are slow and investigate. It could be the PC client, the network or the DB.
Usually I have found poorly designed BAQs, BPMs or Customizations to be the root cause. Sometimes, the DB just needed some maintenance.
Recreating the UI may not even correct the performance if the UI is not the issue.
If the client needs a Web UI, then the included Web Access should work well. There are other already built Epicor UI options out there but they are usually focused on certain business processes, such as Mobile Warehouse or CRM.

Thanks Thomas for your reply.
I don’t want to build a complete new client. Definately thats not a good approach. I need a separate UI which will be used to do Job production processes like Job preparation, working on job operations, record work time etc. I know Epicor has MES to do all this. But user needs some extra functionality here so I was thinking to create Web application, connect it with Epicor may be using restful services and to do all the process. Or may be some another approach.

1 Like

We did a reduced function MES for Maintenance folks on chromebooks, using Cordova, Angular, and Typescript deployed to the Google App Store. Works slick, has been fairly easy to manage. As a consultant remember that a system like that is going to have some serious baggage though so if you’re a small shop I would avoid taking something like that on unless you wanted to flagship it.

EDIT 2 years later (smarter Josh): Skip the google app store it’s a GD nightmare do APK side loads or host the app as a site. Unless you advanced device hardware features the scanner is just an HID and will work no matter what.

2 Likes

Have you looked at Epicor’s latest Mobile Offerings? their mobile warehouse apps and time and expense apps are really nice and I bet could do 99% of what they need.

1 Like

I haven’t looked on that. But I will have a look.
Can that be customized as per needs?

Thanks for your reply. Our IT team was investigating on Epicor performance issue and till now we found that there are some issues with current servers with regards to CPUs. We are going to upgrade our serves. But here I am looking for a solution to build an external app( may a web app) specific to job management operations as per users requirements.

You can create anything using Epicor REST services, it would depend on your requirements and also the developer expertise.

It can be a separate desktop app, a mobile native app in android/ios, a hybrid app using cordova/ionic or it could just be a website using any js framework.

:sob:

If it’s a small shop and you don’t want to build your own solution check out Bezlio . It was really fast and they host everything so it’s incredibly easy to build out.

i would suggest contacting your CAM. We have tools that the tech guys can run to see where the performance issues are. We can reorganize the forms, cache the forms in that are used a lot, there are things that can be done. Epicor Web Access is not ideal but is an option on certain forms, but unless you fix the performance issue it wont matter what UI you use.