10.2.400.11 Save Layouts on Customization Deletes Most Controls

Ah, okay, that makes sense why I couldn’t replicate it. I’ll try it again just for fun.

Utah Taylor

Save Layouts button aside. I noticed some screen grids behave oddly without the patched dll. Perhaps its not just Save Layouts, this Customization has no Personalization Layer.

10.2.400.10 AS-IS:

10.2.400.10 Patched EpiClientLib:

1 Like

Yup. My grids and custom controls had to also be place at the correct location in code.

I was able to replicate the issue. Do you think it would be safe to go live on .9 knowing that this is an issue? We do not save any layouts when we have developer mode on.

In other words, as I understand it, this on;y can be replicated when opening the form in Dev mode… is that true? @hkeric.wci

It’s safe. I’ve helped 3 clients upgrade to .9 - .11.
Just be aware of the problem. Be sure you e tested the version before you roll out to LIVE though.

I agree, its safe, just dont click the button for the time being and if you do notice some grids out of alignment, it is what it is - not a show stopper.

We just upgraded to 10.2.400.10

2 Likes

@Jason_Woods and @hkeric.wci thanks for reassuring us. One last time though, this can only be replicated when launching the form in dev mode and then clicking save layouts, right?

1 Like

@hkeric.wci … is that a yes?

That is a “qualified” yes. You will likely see other issues with cosmetic layouts, but not show stoppers.

Right on, thanks guys. .9 it is.

So, what about the idea of putting the code back in the dll file? I saw that a couple people have attempted that. Is this not advised? If it is something we could do to get around it how do we go about it?

Not generally, DLL’s are version specific and need to be deployed to each client which is cumbersome.

1 Like

So why is Epicor waiting until 600 to fix this if this is such a big issue?

I’ve been informed by Epicor support that they are rolling out the fix in 10.2.400.14, as well. They expect it to be available October 25th for download. For .500 it will be a part of 10.2.500.3.
I intend to download it and check it out as soon as I can.

5 Likes

I’m encouraging all my customers affected to upgrade ASAP.

1 Like

The Fix will be in 10.2.500.4 and I assume eventually in one of the 400 patches as well.

I’ve been informed by Epicor support that they are rolling out the fix in 10.2.400.14, as well. They expect it to be available October 25th for download.

This case is connected to an Open Problem PRB0215948 All further updates will be provided on problem PRB0215948

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: When a Customization is selected in Developer Mode, but before selecting Tools > Customization, Customers can make layout changes (like moving a Column in a Grid) and when Tools > Layouts is selected, the Layout changes are now saved as Part of the Customization. This way, layout changes are made once as a Customization and when deployed, so all Users will see the Layout changes.

In E10.2.300 and below, there is no issue.

However, in E10.2.400, selecting Tools > Layouts while in Developer Mode results in All Custom Items (Labels/Controls, and any custom code in the Script Editor) to be removed.

PROGRAM ID: Customization

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR: In E10.2.400, selecting Tools > Layouts while in Developer Mode should Not remove any custom items, just like No custom items were removed in prior Epicor Releases.

That concludes this issue.

4 Likes

So just a little behind the scenes details on how issues like this are handled. Barring a system down emergency all bugs are required to be fixed in the go forward version of the product and be fully tested internally before we are allowed to apply them to previous release.

At that time, if there is an update request that was approved from a customer, we will fix it in that version and we will also fix it in the currently shipping version.

If there is no formal update request then it is at the discretion of the product owner to decide if the fix should be applied to release product and which versions should get it. Internally we call these ‘retrofits’ which are distinct form customer ‘update requests’.

No real need for you to know this, just sharing as the conversation about versions with the fix came up. I’ll also mention that when we decide to do it we will set the target update 500.3 or 500.4 we want the fix in, but the reality of the development cycle is that those can change based on workload or how long it takes to test an issue. So you will occasionally see those numbers shift from the first targeted version to when it is actually released.

3 Likes

Patch is out in 10.2.500.3…

Regards,

Chris Wineinger

2 Likes

5 Likes

I downloaded 10.2.400.14 and confirmed that Developer mode > change list order of fields > Save Layouts works and does NOT clear out the entire customization now.

This is wonderful. I believe this is the fastest Epicor Development has fixed an issue we’ve experienced and reported. However, we are still live until the end of the year on 9.05.702A, so this may be more commonplace with the current releases.

3 Likes