After April 2024 Patch Tuesday, machines BSOD

We’re seeing Blue Screens of Death on Classic Client after the most recent Windows Update. So far, it’s only been AMD machines and I believe Lenovos.

Open a command (Opportunity/Quote) and close it. Boom.

Stay tuned…

Windows 11?
Windows 10?

Can you tell me the update? What winver is one of the affected machines?

Not sure which update yet, but so far, all Win 11.

1 Like

Keeping an eye on this. Lenovo AMD machines are common.

Update from the Microsoft Community Forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-winforms-bsod-kernel-crash/2a89ec63-447d-484a-b05d-b866921e9474?rtAction=1712861887421

This post contains a Gist of a PowerShell script that can cause the BSOD and it affects both AMD and Intel.

:sob:

1 Like

Our team has had luck with a preview patch:

2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036980)

which becomes build 22631.3520.

1 Like

Hey @Mark_Wonsil , any news on this one? Got some patching scheduled for this weekend, wondering if we should postpone…

No change. We’ve put off updates, rolled back, and push some folks to the browser when possible.

You can test if the problem exists with your users who got the upgrade using the following PowerShell script. It just creates a WinForms window, nothing fancy. This crashes my system but Opportunity/Quote Entry does not. For other users, either will crash their systems. :person_shrugging:

Warning: this can BSOD your system, so shutdown everything before you try it.

# From https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43583651/windows-10-creators-updates-breaks-winforms-apps-bsod
# (This can be copy pasted into Powershell)
[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("System.Windows.Forms")
$form = new-object System.Windows.Forms.Form
$lastPanel = $form
for($i = 0; $i -lt 45; $i++) {
  $newPanel = new-object System.Windows.Forms.Panel
  $newPanel.Dock = [System.Windows.Forms.DockStyle]::Fill
  $lastPanel.Controls.Add($newPanel)
  $lastPanel = $newPanel
}
$form.ShowDialog()
# Then close the window

Yesterday, 23 April 2024, Microsoft released an update that has fixed this issue. After installing, running the PowerShell above no longer BSODs the machine.

April 23, 2024—KB5036980 (OS Builds 22621.3527 and 22631.3527) Preview - Microsoft Support

1 Like