Anyone using Expensify, Concur, or other?

Come Join us!!! All the cool kids will be there :slight_smile:

1 Like

LIES!

But you said you’d be ‘in spirit’ and @Mark_Wonsil and a bunch of us are going to drink your beers… er, drink beers in you name. So it’ll be like you’re there…

1 Like

Mike, in my lieu, you are responsible for taking any and all photos of groups of Asian women.

:laughing: :+1: That’s a deal.

I just posted in the other Concur thread here - SAP Concur Interation - #8 by askulte

Not sure which thread to use! How are you guys loading the Concur data into Epicor now? @Mark_Wonsil @MikeGross @psiebers @tkoch

@jnbadger - Has your company moved forward with Concur?

@tkoch - Can you share more details?

Thanks everyone!

@askulte - we let Concur do all the payables (both the employee’s direct deposit, and to AMEX and any of the major travel/transportation sites) so all we bring back is a GL file, and I’ve honestly not gotten back to making it work like I want it to.

@MikeGross hit the nail on the head with the complexity. If all Concur does is collect the expense and not pay anything, it’s doable. But once you pay the employees directly then things get hairier really fast while trying to keep the accounting straight.

A G/L only interface could work out but if you want to actually post against jobs/projects then that’s what was giving us fits - especially since Concur was paying employees directly. We set up Concur as a bank, just like we would with a Credit Card and that worked from a G/L perspective but we couldn’t get visibility of the expenses from a Project point of view. :man_shrugging:

If I were to do it today, I would think about pulling the Concur files in from an Epicor function and build an AP Group. You’d have to have a good connection between suppliers in Concur and Epicor to do it correctly though. I’m not sure if Concur sends out 1099s for expenses to non-C Corp establishments. :thinking:

Makes my head hurt…

1 Like

We haven’t moved forward yet. Was supposed to be a 2020 project…

I’m actually pushing for Expensify instead. It’s way more affordable since we don’t not need other Concur services and has all of the same features for expenses.

@Mark_Wonsil @MikeGross Have you tried letting Concur handle the payables and then doing job adjustments for the job/project costs?

I don’t know how Concur invoices you, but let’s just assume you get a monthly statement like with a credit card…

Enter an AP invoice to Concur, which would cover the platform fees and the employee reimbursements. The invoice would hit the appropriate expense accounts (assuming Concur has some kind of GL file or can at least export the expenses, then you’d map expense categories to GL accounts in Excel). That’d be an easy paste insert in invoice entry.

Then you’d make job adjustments for expenses that needed to be costed to jobs/projects. I think this can be done with DMT. Finally, reverse the GL transactions from the job adjustments to avoid the double dip on COS expense.

Alternatively to the job adjustments, you could do job misc. lines on the invoice, but I think that’d be more time-consuming.

Of course I haven’t actually done this, so I might be over-simplifying :laughing: that’s just the general workflow I was imagining for my company.

We haven’t gone live with Concur but the development is done as already use this approach for upload of credit card statement, travel statement, allowances, etc. The solution is to download file from Concur and upload into a UD table in Epicor and do required validations and generate Job materials, etc and export to upload as AP Invoice using DMT.

This is the issue, right? When things are paid in Concur you could get the expenses into the the G/L but you try to get the expense to jobs, you get the expense again. Concur sends two files, things paid by employees which we need to reimburse and another file with charges made to a company credit card.

We used Concur as a bank just like we do with credit cards. When we “pay” back Concur, we just do a bank to bank transfer, again, just like a credit card.

I think it can be done but there’s a lot work to set it up. We had projects and phases exported to Concur so the employees could attach them to the expense. I think it’s a lot smoother if you just let Concur gather the expenses and let Epicor pay employees. :thinking:

EDIT: Projects is what makes this more difficult. If you’re staying away from WIP then the other suggestions should work.

1 Like

This got me thinking and now digging into other threads where you’ve explained this. Thank you! We struggle with AmEx, which is the main reason for evaluating other expense platforms at all.

Do you have a lot of employees with a company CC? If so… before you implemented Concur, how did they enter their CC transactions? We currently have AP person doing it in one massive A/P invoice according to the AmEx statement. The only way we’ve figured out getting the employees to enter their own expenses is having multiple employee IDs, one for reimbursements and one for CC, since each employee ID is linked to one supplier account.

Just to be clear, one bank for each credit card company: Amex, Visa, etc. and not one for each individual card. It was not clear in the earlier posts.

There is a check box about whether or not to reimburse the employee on the expense entry screen. If using the company card, I believe we marked the box so there was no employee reimbursement.

1 Like

A lot has changed in a year! Now you can use Epicor Functions without the extra software. And people are/should be used to using the Data and Method Directives so the learning curve is much less.

I created a class library (DLL) that is reference in the customization on AP Invoice entry and from the actions menu brings up a dialog to query for and import Concur expenses

3 Likes

How about a year and a half?

What are peoples current thoughts with a 3rd party expense platform integrated into Epicor?

Thanks,
Steve

Depends on the Integration. We were paying people directly from the expense system which made expense reporting against jobs a little more challenging. Also need some thought around when the expense system also does the credit card charges on a company card vs. employee.

I will chime in that I wrote an Epicor Function (EFx) using REST to bring Expensify Approved reports into the T&E Epicor module. Expenses are submitted against Projects and I made the Miscellaneous expense codes to be the same in Expensity and Epicor. Documentation and support are not that great, but it works after some trial and error. It eliminates the end-user having to export/file drop and deal with the unexpected errors.

https://integrations.expensify.com/Integration-Server/doc/#introduction

Previously, I had it setup as an end-user exporting CSVs and dropping it into a file folder. Then automating a DMT template into the Expense table. The solution worked, but there was always some kind of errors like setup that was not that obvious from the DMT error log. All those validations are done in the Function and makes it clear to the end-user via an automated email.

1 Like

Did you upload projects and phases to Expensify or did a live lookup to verify them?

Did you have to handle prematurely closed project jobs too?