Archiving Data

Although we are a Cloud Client, I’d like to know if anyone has archived any of their data. We can have a lot of transactions, which could cause searches, BAQs, and other things to run slow.

Epicor didn’t seem to have an answer for this. We’ve been on Epicor for 19 months. We normally keep 13 months of history available to users and then have a repository where they can go back to review history and report on it.

Does anyone else do anything like this?

@rholndoner - We run database purge & summarize annually to keep the size down (Transactions, Journal Details, and Change Logs), with a 3 year lookback. Before the purge, we copy the purged tables into a separate SQL database, so it’s available offline just in case… We’re not cloud, but I’d assume you could do the same with a gigantic BAQ export.

Be careful on the Journal Details purge. Epicor will remove the GL records of open invoices too (an issue if you have terms with a long duration). You’ll need to get a generic data fix to add back the records, otherwise any transactions against those invoices will not balance (you can see that on the Edit List).

Hi Andris,

Thank you for the feedback. I want to look into this because queries are just going to build over time if we don’t do something.

I’ll check into the DB Purge & Summarize. I’m hoping we can put the data somewhere that allows the users to use as an archive tool instead of having all transactions in one DB.

Randy, We have sharepoint reports pointing to both databases, depending on whether they need current (< 3 years) or archived data. Epicor’s DB Purge and Summarize also has a limit of 18 months as the shortest time, IIRC. Our DB is around 200 GB, going back to 2015. Not sure where you’re at, but it can handle millions of records fairly well. Of course the finance department and auditors would prefer we never purged!