BAQ Concatenated Rows to Single Field

I’m trying to concatenate reference designators of BOM materials to a single row. I found previous posts a couple years old with instructions and a sample BAQ for doing this process on customers and sales orders. When I write my BAQ and check the syntax it says it’s ok, but then I get a bad sql statement error when trying to run the baq. In the previous posts there was an example BAQ, and when I downloaded and installed the example I got the same error about a bad sql statement. Has something changed between 10.1 and Kinetic that would limit this functionality within BAQ?

Here is the query phrase code from the BAQ I’m trying to write:

select
[PartMtl].[PartNum] as [PartMtl_PartNum],
[PartMtl].[RevisionNum] as [PartMtl_RevisionNum],
[PartMtl].[MtlSeq] as [PartMtl_MtlSeq],
[PartMtl].[MtlPartNum] as [PartMtl_MtlPartNum],
[PartMtl].[QtyPer] as [PartMtl_QtyPer],
[PartMtl].[AltMethod] as [PartMtl_AltMethod],
(REPLACE(REPLACE(((select
(cast (PartMtlRefDes.RefDes as varchar) + ’ , ‘) as [Calculated_RefDesAll]
from Erp.PartMtlRefDes as PartMtlRefDes
where (PartMtlRefDes.Company = PartMtl.Company and PartMtlRefDes.PartNum = PartMtl.PartNum and PartMtlRefDes.RevisionNum = PartMtl.RevisionNum and PartMtlRefDes.AltMethod = PartMtl.AltMethod and PartMtlRefDes.MtlSeq = PartMtl.MtlSeq and PartMtlRefDes.MtlPartNum = PartMtl.MtlPartNum FOR XML PATH (’’)))) , ‘</Calculated_RefDesAll>’,’’),’’,’’)) as [Calculated_RefDesignators]
from Erp.PartMtl as PartMtl

What is the error detail for the bad statement? You will find that on the server in the event log.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t use the For XML Path function.

Instead, use

String_Agg(table.field, ',')

The second argument is your delimiter, in this case a comma. It works just like a regular aggregate function, like Sum() or Max() etc.

This is assuming that you are on the newish version of SQL

3 Likes

Perfect, the String-Agg function solved my issue!

Thanks all!

Hello,
Do you have a BAQ that you can share? We have several BAQs which use the FOR XML Path expression.

Is your version number in your profile correct? If if is, you probably can’t use is. What happens when you try to use it?

I would give you a BAQ, but my version is newer, so I don’t think you’ll be able to import it.

Post some screen shots of what you are trying to do, and I can see if you are doing something wrong.

Hi Brandon,
Thank you for your reply.
We are upgrading from Epicor 10.1.400.14 to Kinetic 2022.1.8. I am getting an error message when running the BAQ with the FOR XML Path expression in Kinetic 2022.1.7. Currently we are running the upgrade conversions, it will take a while until I’ll be able to login to Kinetic. I will attach screenshots as soon as I can login.

Sounds good. When you get there, the string_agg() function works just like any other aggregate field. (like sum() or Count() etc.). You just need to pass in a delimiter at a second argument.

4 Likes

Thanks Brandon. I’ll try it as soon as I can log back in.

Very nice! I’ve been dreaming of this ability.

Hi Brandon,
I tried it after Kinetic was upgraded and it worked. Thank you very much for your help.

1 Like