Bugs for dinner anyone?

On this point, run Kinetic in incognito with all extensions disabled and see how things track. Also when an issue like in your first video appears pop into developer console and look for console errors that would help development out if there is anything of interest to show. Just showing a behaviour like the buttons not disabling properly isn’t anything you can really tell them how to reproduce.

3 Likes

I do, constantly!! I also fill out a survey on almost every case with specific feedback. Nothing ever comes of any of it. If anything I feel overall support quality continues to decrease.

3 Likes

They made it pretty clear this last year they really don’t care which way you go.

Not really because it’s all happening in your browser regardless.

My CAM took 6 months to add a module to Saas, the golden child of easy. He routinely takes 3-5 weeks to reply to emails. How can I ask Epicor for a new CAM?

1 Like

Can second the extension thing, ublock caused some glitches for me. Certain things also worked right in Chrome/Edge but not Firefox.

1 Like

I don’t know if you can but you can also contact your client partner aka RCM and depending who it is they may be able to help.

Thanks for this tip! I will definitely keep this in mind going forward.

Ah, I was referring to (without context, oops) one of his videos where it prompts a “Something went wrong” error which I believe logs to the Windows server events. Didn’t get a chance to see every video, but yes it would depend on the particular issue.

I have also had the same issues.

1 Like

During the sales pitch we were basically told something along the lines of “You could do on prem, but likely that will be no longer offered in a few years”

Your CAM must have the initials TN huh?

It is for this exact reason that I can’t understand why Epicor would skip the client and move to browsers. The environment is just so much less consistent and stable. How could you ever expect to release a working product when everyone has different browsers, and different plugins?

Sure, you have job security. You will be debugging for decades at this rate!

No, my cam is a bit better than 3-5 weeks. I’d say on average it’s about 2-3

So I get this response a lot from Epicor, “We simply can’t recreate the issue”. Which to me is more worrying because it means the system is sporadic and unstable.

If this is actually true, I would follow up with him. When they pushed out the timeline for Kinetic and delayed the sunset of classic, I understood that to be a tacit admission the Kinetic was taking longer to be “Prime Time Ready”. It sounds like you have a lot of valid grievances, which are shared by a lot of us. Unfortunately these threads tend to turn into nonconstructive complaining fests. We can’t do much to help each other.

It would really help Epicor’s image if they had someone in a high position in Epicor weigh in on these threads and make people feel heard. (Such as this Vaibhav Vohra fellow). Instead these threads end up locked. :confused:

3 Likes

On-prem (or expensive SaaS) lets the other SaaS customers that are forced to be on the current release do Epicor’s bug testing & fixing, and then upgrade when it’s more stable. Usually the first half-dozen dot releases of a major upgrade fix a ton of bugs, and it starts settling back down in December…

I feel for the customers that haven’t had a chance to get stable Classic UI experience (that Epicor has had 7 years to debug!). I’m looking forward to moving our 250 employees to the Kinetic UI, but I agree it’s not ready and a feature step back from Classic at the moment (we’re on 2021.2).

If Support isn’t reading the steps, wasting time asking things that have been covered, or replying with a canned response from Dev ‘Working As Designed’ (because that’s “How Epicor has always worked!”), don’t be afraid to be brutally honest on the support survey response if the case was not handled well. That’s where I’ve finally connected to a manager that can force a case to be re-reviewed again. Make sure you add thorough comments explaining the situation. If that doesn’t work, get your CAM involved, your CAM’s boss, and the support team management on Epicor’s escalation list (Epicor Support Management Contact List).

So my company had a custom winforms MES program dating back to '02. We migrated it to a browser back in 2018, took maybe a year of programming with one on site engineer and 2 programmers based in Pakistan. Works flawlessly, zero bugs. This is why I am perplexed it took Epicor this long and why they are having so many issues. Obviously their system is way more expansive, but they also have the resources to accomplish this.

I find kinetic is a lot more unstable than classic. So many intermittent issues, and/or things that fail but then work after deleting the cache folder, or closing and reopening the client. I have got to the point where I don’t report those things because its just a waste of time.

1 Like

Yea, in maybe 50% of these cases, it can be resolved with a browser refresh, but my user base gets stuck on these, get frustrated, stop using it and then I hear about how Epicor sucks a week later and they can’t do anything. Its killing the implementation.

Can we get re-imbursed at the same rate as we’re charged for Professional Services for every bug we find and document? (Although Dev would probably push back even harder with ‘working as designed’!). Maybe Epicor should start offering bug bounties! Start with a month of free maintenance… Who’s going to submit the AHA Ideas for that one? :angel:

4 Likes