ComboBox drop down UserCode not showing bound data in Supplier screen

I’ve created a dropdown list combo box tied to a custom column via UserCodes reusable drop down. The data shows in SQL Server as being populated, but the screen shows a blank combo box. The drop down gets populated with the correct data so that works, it’s just the binding that doesn’t work.

This happens with any combo box in the screen. I’ve created other combo boxes in other screens with no issues at all. Other controls in the screen get bound correctly. Really doing my head in now.

At first I thought it was the customisation so I remade it, but still the same issue. Then I tried exporting and reimporting the customisation, no luck there. Then I thought maybe it was the preview mode messing with me, so I created a Kinetic menu item and tested, but still the same behaviour.

I’ve tried recycling the app pool too.

Also I don’t know if this is related, in the EpiBinding, IntelliSense/AutoComplete works with the table name but not after the dot with the column name.

Any ideas anyone?

They’re still working on this bit.

So, the combo box (when not dropped down) is blank, but SQL/BAQ will show the data in the table? And when you drop the box down, it shows the proper list values?

What do you have populated in these property fields?

So, the combo box (when not dropped down) is blank, but SQL/BAQ will show the data in the table? And when you drop the box down, it shows the proper list values?

Correct

Because it’s coming from UserCode reusable drop down, this is automatically filled in to be:

I figured, but I wanted to make sure in order to rule that out as a possibility.
Which screen are you adding the UserCodes combo to? I’d like to see if I can recreate it.

Which screen are you adding the UserCodes combo to?

I’m doing this in the Supplier Entry screen/Vendor UD table.

Hmm. No issues when I tried it for myself.
Try populating this property with the same value as the EpBinding above it.

Yeah that fixes it, except the drop down doesn’t show the selected item as being selected in the drop down.

Weird how this is the fix because in other screens I’ve never needed to fill in this text column property, and the combo box works.

Even in the Kinetics help it doesn’t state that this property is needed.

I’ve noticed that myself and I cannot discern why or when it’s needed. It’s a new property as of .8 or .9, I believe. @Ishkaran, can you comment on what the Ep Binding Text Column is for and when it should be used?

Even weirder is that you need it, yet I do not. :thinking:

@J_I , @hmwillett, looking into this issue from the docs perspective as well, thank you very much for pointing to it, and sorry for the caused inconvenience. Pretty sure it was not required in the GA release version (.3 update, I believe). Re the intellisense for the UD columns, works as of 2021.1.

2 Likes

@hmwillett @J_I If the Ep Binding Text Column is setup on the combo, the control will get the display text from this field instead of forcing the control to make a server call on page load. In such cases the server call would be made only when the list is dropped down.

I don’t think there are any changes made to this behavior between GA and latest 2021.1.x

@Ishkaran Yeah I thought this property wasn’t needed.

I originally thought that maybe it was the conversion of the customisation that messed things up so I remade it from scratch and still the blank combo box persists.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have made plenty of other customisations that include combo boxes and they all work as intended, so I don’t really get why it’s just this Supplier screen that is causing me issues…?

In runtime, once you make a selection on the combo can you dump the dataviews to console and check if:

• Dataview is Dirty (red color)
  • Selected value in dropdown is updated on the Dataview Column

The only case that I can think of when the reusable combo shows the list, but not the selected value is if there is a data-type mismatch between epBinding and Selected value.

@Ishkaran I think I’ve found something that may be an issue.

When the screen initially loads and populates the drop downs it displays the CodeDesc in the DataView (which it shouldn’t).

When the value selected in the drop down is changed, the console displays the CodeID in the DataView (which it should).

As the Combo Box is bound to a UserCode default reusable combo, I thought the value selected should be the CodeID?

EDIT: Checking another screen I have done this on, I can confirm that it populates the value of the combo box with the CodeID and not the CodeDesc on initial load, but for some reason the Supplier screen does the opposite.

There is something happening to the field Character01 after selecting the value on the combo and before it the Saves… Or maybe after it is retrieved from the server on page load, it gets updated by some other data change event trigger… But like you said you created this layer from scratch so this possibility is ruled out.

Maybe create a CAB file and share it here? I can volunteer to restore it locally and troubleshoot… This one would need a closer look at DevTools → Console with debugging turned on.