Concatenate OP's in order of OP Sequence

I have read other Topics concerning concatenating unfortunately I am not super Tech Savvy and I really don’t understand what I have read.

What I want to do may be above my comprehension and if you feel like it is - just say so.

I can do what I want to do in Excel however I would like to do it in my BAQ rather than teaching others what steps they have to take to achieve the concatenation in Excel (one stop shopping!)

So below is a Method for part 123. Instead of listing the operations vertically I would rather lump them all together on one line (see: “What I would like to achieve” below)

Typical Method - Part No 123
10 Shear
20 Holex
30 Form

What I would like to achieve:
Col1 Col2
*123 Shear, Holex, Form

Typical Method - Part No 456
10 Shear
20 Holex
30 Holex
40 Form
50 TimeSave

What I would like to achieve:
Col1 Col2
456 Shear, Holex, Holex, Form, TimeSave

My code so far:

ltrim(rtrim(PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID)) + ', ' + ltrim(rtrim(PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID)) + ', ' + ltrim(rtrim(PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID))

While this does concatenate I get:
Shear, Shear, Shear
Holex, Holex, Holex
Form, Form, Form
Etc.

Any thoughts that I can understand would be appreciated!

Judy

Search the site for string_agg

Here is a thread

1 Like

I appreciate you getting back to me. I tried the String_Agg but receive the error:

Text: 'String_Agg' is not a recognized built-in function name.
Incorrect syntax near ')'.

This means I need to go “old school”?

STRING_AGG was added in…I believe…SQL Server 2016. Are you running that or higher?

I know with our system, we uplifted an earlier database. I had to manually change the compatibility level to at least 130 (representing Server 2016) enable String_Agg and other features even though we were running a much newer SQL edition. The Perf & Diagnostic Tool will tell you what level you’re on.

@jtownsend I just looked at mine and it was at 2017(140), but I am running 2019 so I could move it up.

@jpol If your sql is before string_agg then you would need FOR XML PATH or something like they did in the thread below.

1 Like

I did try the method with the XML information, however I received the “FOR” error and I don’t understand how to fix it.

As long as you baq doesn’t have custom fields in it post your baq and I will take a look.

Kudos to you…you are a patient person!

I tried making the changes to my BAQ that were shown in the example BAQ. This time it ran but I had to stop it because nothing happened, but I received some untrustworthy results

Anyway…here is the code - please note that I use the GUI interface to create the BAQ’s and add in the SQL when I can figure it out!

select 
	[Part].[PartNum] as [Part_PartNum],
	(REPLACE(REPLACE(((select 
	[PartRev].[RevisionNum] as [PartRev_RevisionNum],
	(CAST(PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID AS VARCHAR) + ',') as [Calculated_ResourceID]
from Erp.Part as Part1
inner join Erp.PartOpDtl as PartOpDtl on 
	Part1.Company = PartOpDtl.Company
	and Part1.PartNum = PartOpDtl.PartNum
	and ( not PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID like '%WF-'  )

inner join Erp.PartRev as PartRev on 
	PartOpDtl.Company = PartRev.Company
	and PartOpDtl.PartNum = PartRev.PartNum
	and PartOpDtl.RevisionNum = PartRev.RevisionNum
	and PartOpDtl.AltMethod = PartRev.AltMethod
	and ( PartRev.Approved = TRUE  )

where PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID = PartOpDtl.ResourceGrpID FOR XML PATH(''))) , '</Calculated_ResourceID',''),'<Calculated_ResourceID>','')) as [Calculated_OPs],
	[Part].[ProdCode] as [Part_ProdCode],
	[Part].[GrossWeight] as [Part_GrossWeight],
	[Part].[NonStock] as [Part_NonStock],
	[Part].[Number02] as [Part_Number02],
	[Part].[Number03] as [Part_Number03],
	[Part].[Number04] as [Part_Number04],
	[Part].[Number05] as [Part_Number05],
	[Part].[Character01] as [Part_Character01],
	[Part].[Character02] as [Part_Character02],
	[Part].[Character03] as [Part_Character03],
	[Part].[NationalMatStds_c] as [Part_NationalMatStds_c],
	[Part].[CustomerMatStds_c] as [Part_CustomerMatStds_c],
	[Part].[TypeCode] as [Part_TypeCode]
from Erp.Part as Part
where (Part.TypeCode = 'M'  and Part.ProdCode like @ProdCode)

Let me know if you want the Actual BAQ

That error (where stuff doesn’t show up until you hover over it) happens when you have too much stuff in a single cell. You’re going to have to find a way to reduce how much is going into each cell.

If I strip out your custom stuff, this is what’s showing in that field. So it comes back, but you still have all of the XML stuff in there. You’ll need to do the string manipulation to get rid of all of that.

Keep in mind, the function FOR XML PATH() is used to take a query and make it XML for some other program to read (like a webpage or something). It shoves it all into one cell and adds the XML tags in it.

This really wasn’t intended to be used a concatenate function, someone just noticed that you could, with some string manipulation to get rid of the XML tags.

@jpol Can you find what your SQL version is and see if the compatibility can be set higher?

I am thinking this would be cleaner with some code in post processing of GetList.