Cycle Count by location

We are implementing the cycle counting process and have a need to do a cycle count for a specific section of the plant.

However the only option seems to be by Warehouse. It would be great to be able to pick a section of a warehouse and indicate which racks/aisles or zone to do a section a week.

Has anyone else run into this scenario? How did you handle it?

Thanks
Brad

The reason epicor wants you to count by warehouse is because parts can be stored in multiple locations and inventory move transactions could have been skipped. So , counting all locations for a part is good idea.

with that said, to overcome this, I have created a cycle count and manually added the parts via the cycle count part selection update screen. You can paste insert parts there.

To get the list of parts, write a BAQ that list all parts by location (you define your selection criteria, I used on hand qty in the bins). Only paste two columns, selected and partnum.

4 Likes

This will still print tags for the other bins is parts are stored elsewhere.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. This is a distribution facility and the part numbers in the rack locations change frequently. I think I may go a different route and try to build a location audit dashboard. My first thought is that user would scan in a bin number and then a part number and the system would give them a red or green indicator if the system info matches up with the scan.

There is a third party app which will do it by Bin. Haven’t seen it in action though. Do you want to do a count by bin?

Yes what is the name of the app?

It is a flow distribution warehouse and they want to do a section at a time. Currently using spreadsheets.

Brad

Brad

Brad
Boes,
IT Business Analyst
Mobile
+1. 231.845.1090
bboes@noabrands.com

www.noabrands.com

**Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

enbw

brychan williams

June 19
There is a third party app which will do it by Bin. Haven’t seen it in action though. Do you want to do a count by bin?

Hi, sorry I cannot remember but I do definitely remember seeing it. We did a bit of work on this but got shifted to another project. We were creating a layer above the standard cycle count and then modifying on the fly.

Annoyingly , this is a standard feature in other epicor products.

Hey Brad,

Normally, I would not recommend this but I’ve always believed that this is the one case where a BPM replacing BASE functionality would work. One would replace the Part Selection method to select all of the parts in a aisle, etc. One would just want to make sure that all fields in the Part Selection data set were filled.

Mark W.

3 Likes

Hi, this may work. But it wouldn’t work in our environment. As part locations change and also we need to count what is physically there. We don’t want to prompt what could be there.

It almost sounds like you need to generate tags for every part, and just void whatever they don’t find in the aisle.

1 Like

Hi, But thats very time consuming. We are talking about full counts and cycle counts. If we are doing full counts. Then we just want to zip through, analyse, recount, then commit. The same on cycle counts. We are more concern about parts at particular locations rather overall part qtys in some ways.

Why not just use blank tags for the parts you find in a location without a printed tag? That’s kinda what they’re for…

1 Like

You can only do that for a new part in a full physical. For a cycle count, the part must be in the cycle to enter a blank tag for it. I assume this is because they haven’t frozen the counts for other parts.

Ah yes, you are correct. I don’t know how to get Epicor to create a tag in a location when it doesn’t know it’s there… :thinking:

I guess one way to do it is to work backwards. Count everything in the location on a spreadsheet or webapp then use that to do the Part Selection (Paste Insert), start the count, update the counts, then post.

That’s similar to what we do for end-of-year inventory. One massive cycle sequence is the bulk of physical inventory, and any unexpected parts get added in the subsequent sequences with Part Selection Update. But production is shut down those days so we know there are no transactions to account for–that would be a concern in a warehouse with what sounds like volatile inventory.

1 Like

You are so right @Ashley YOU MUST have clean cut-offs and knowledge of what has or hasn’t been kitted/shipped/etc. whenever counting parts!

1 Like

We have some raw materials which are counted weekly, biweekly and monthly. Using cycle count is just too much work for us. We just use plain and simple spread sheets and then do quantity adjustments with appropriate reason codes.

Vinay Kamboj

1 Like

We have to prove that we’ve counted everything appropriately so we rely on the Cycle Count Dates. Our inventory guy counts everything that was transacted in the previous day and then extra parts for coverage. He hasn’t done a physical inventory in ten years as the auditors have been pleased with his program.

Cycle Counting is one of the most unique processes - every company does it differently…

2 Likes

So I started this thread and it has been helpful. Appreciate everyone’s input. Our goal is also to avoid the full physical inventory processing.

Mark, curious if you are using the repetitive or random setting on the site maintenance cycle count setup.

thanks

Brad

imageaefe36.PNG

1 Like