Generating new UPC codes for new Parts

Just wondering what other companies do to generate and track new UPC codes for Parts as they create Parts in Kinetic.

In our 10.1.400 environment we have a customization that generates UPC codes and tracks the last used. I’m determined to eliminate as many customizations as possible when we migrate to Kinetic and this is on my list to go.

I would imagine you’re using GS1 for your UPC codes. That’s where our are generated when we create a new part. Do you have an integration into GS1, or are you creating fake UPC codes?

I guess we are creating ‘fake’ UPC Codes. We have a company prefix, but I don’t know where that came from. I know we currently don’t have an integration into GS1.

The customization in our current Epicor version was written by our Epicor Partner company and just uses a UD field and some code. We create a new part and click a button that looks at the UD field (last UPC number) and adds 1 to it and fills the UPC number field in with that new UPC code, then it updates the UD field. No integration with GS1.

Karen,
You could create an “auto-code” customization using functions that will generate the next-sequence UPC code using your company GS1 prefix and the UD table you store those values in. We did something similar for generating new part #'s that needed to follow a specific naming convention based on material type.

There are a bunch of threads on this forum that discuss auto-numbering - this thread is a long one about auto-numbering for customers) but has lots of good information that I think would be relevant for you.