Handheld module - screens not fitting after server move

Take a picture of what you are seeing on the handhelds.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db0428d2-c4f0-4c9c-a787-72bcbccdff90/rds2019-compatibility-gt-high-dpi-settings-stop-working-when-rds-role-enabled?forum=winserverTS

Thanks for that - looks like it might be the answer. I’ll test it and let you know how I get on.

This is what I’m seeing after moving to Server 2019 - no scroll bar visible at bottom and only a small bit at right hand side. More text in the second column than originally.

I’ve tried everything above but no change.

Thanks
Andrew

Set your taskbar to auto-hide see if the window expands better proportionally on launch and fixes itself.

You mention RDP and Zebra, what OS are your handhelds using? If Android what RDP Client are you using?

Using Windows Mobile CE now defunct but too costly for an upgrade. Tried one or two of the apps that are available for android but they cannot be customised to allow for our specific requirements.

Thanks but no difference.

Those screens were built for Intermec CK3s it’s possible the zebra runs a slightly narrower pixel width. What is the model of that Zebra device?

2 Likes

It’s a Zebra 7545BW

I know on the old Intermec CK71 we always had to use an older wpctsc.exe that automatically send windows a flag called HI_RES_AWARE and launched programs automatically in full screen mode.

Not sure if this is the case with your Zebra Client. But then again, you said it worked in older Windows and is a new issue during Windows 2019 only. ( @jgiese.wci ) in this case it has to be Windows related, no?

If you have tried the stuff in the previous posts from Microsoft, try changing your Scaling now back to 100% and don’t zoom it in. It looks like, now you are too far zoomed in, go back a notch in DPI Settings.

1 Like

I’ve used Remote Desktop Client – Download | Xtralogic, Inc. in the past. It is pretty configurable.

I know when I was using datalogic handhelds with android I had to rescale the screens, which was a rather laborious task.

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation.

Have you tried updating your user settings in the sysconfig? Search for High Resolution Font Error
in your help.

<Style value="None" options="SpecifyName|None|Default"/>

EDIT:
I’m probably over complicating it. @hkeric.wci approach makes sense.

I can’t find that model number at all from google

I think it’s the Omni XT15. On my research it’s a Psion, but rebadged. Zebra acquired Psion back in 2014…

Further research suggests that this device is capable of Windows Mobile 6.5 or Windows CE 6.0 not sure if there is any difference in the RDP client

I meant also to mention have you looked at the Autoscale mode in the sysconfig?

From the help.
User Settings

Setting Purpose and Expected Value
AutoScaleMode The concentration of pixels on the window, this setting accommodates different geometries of forms in different versions of Windows.

“None” – The default. No adjustment of forms is done.

“Dpi” – An adjustment (dots per inch) of concentration for pixels is done on forms.

The forms are adjusted to adhere to the DPI field on the Display Properties > Settings > Advanced General form in Windows XP and Control Panel > Display > Custom DPI SettingS form in Windows 7. Common settings are 96 DPI and 120 DPI.|

Thanks for all the suggestions but none of them seem to make any difference. I’m down now to trying resize the screens changing the form properties size/height/width/location etc. The changes are ok when connecting to the server via RDP from my own Win 10 PC but when doing RDP from the handheld device none of the changes are working.

All v strange and frustrating:)

Screen resizing is a very painful route. I am sorry to hear it.

Make sure this is not some sort of RDP caching issue. Try doing a clear client cache with “extreme prejudice” I.e. delete the whole client directory when logged out. Are you using an alternative cache location on you sysconfig on the RDP server? If it’s an farm then you want to ensure you are using a home directory or similar, so that there is only one version of the cache. If you aren’t then you will be seeing weird behaviour.

I did a bit more searching, and I’m wondering if the RDP file for the handheld can be edited, and if there is a screen height and with parameters that can be changed. If so perhaps some trial and error around that if you have not tried that already.

EDIT:
Here’s a link. More than likely you have seen this one already.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-tips-fixing-remote-desktop-screen-settings/

Another thought, does the form you are testing against have any personalisations? If so delete them.

640x480 screen resolution according to the internets. That is a slightly different aspect ratio over the 240x320 that the CK3 has. The screen should scale up to 720x960 but 640x480 would for sure cause you issues.

1 Like

I’m am confused by this…the original post says it worked on 2012, but not on 2019, so that being the only thing that has changed…it seems logical that it’s be a server compatibility issue…

Thanks everyone … I can move and resize the forms but its the predictive search that is the problem - previously it was appearing with scroll bars on the right of the screen and the bottom but now these can be barely seen after the server move.

Any ideas?