Importing History from Old ERP System

DO NOT go the DMT route. Why would you want to load that into the transactional tables, plus then you have to load all the customers, vendors, parts, etc. User Defined Tables is the way and only way to go. And not for nothing are the users really going to look at data that far back.

3 Likes

Agreed. Power BI is a great tool for joining/unioning data from multiple sources, including your legacy ERP database. When I made a report to help with forecasting, the powers-that-be made it a requirement to get at least a few years’ worth of legacy data, and were very happy to be able to see almost 20 years’ worth of sales history for any given part number…

(Our Epicor launch was 2020 Q4)

1 Like

Grant -
I’m the cowboy in the group here.
I have brought in Sales Orders and Purchase orders that are closed into the database by using DMT.
For sales orders, you are only bringing in the same dataset that you bring in when the went live with the open orders. The difference is, at the end of the import, you close the orders.

The benefit is you then can go into the customer tracker to see prior orders, you can use history to create orders (company setting how far back to do go).

I am not recommending Shipping or invoicing details, just OrderHead, OrderDetails, and OrderRel - all closed after the import.

In the 15 years of doing consulting and many go lives, I have always brought in the history to what the customer wanted.

2 Likes

I recommend DMT for the “open” transactions.
If you require history for other transactions those could be loaded into UDT’s.