Inactive 'Prompt' checkbox in Updatable Dashboard

A few months back, I created two (non-updatable) BAQ’s, and then used both of those in a new (non-updatable) dashboard. Everything has worked just as expected with no issues.

Today, I wanted to convert JobHead.UserChar1 from one of the BAQ’s into an updatable field. We use this same field in a few other updatable dashboards with no issues. After my edit, I can update this field within the BAQ as anticipated.

However, when I attempted to update my dashboard, I can choose for it to use the revised, updatable BAQ, and I can see the ‘Prompt’ column in the Summary panel, but I am unable to select the checkbox for the JobHead.UserChar1 field. For further confirmation, I created a completely new dashboard based on the updatable BAQ, and it too will not allow me to select the ‘Prompt’ checkbox.

There are two things that I can think of that are different with this updatable scenerio and our others: (1) the field, JobHead.UserChar1 is initiated from Subquery 2 in the BAQ, and; (2) we have a Data Directives BPM that duplicates JobHead.UserChar1 entries into the OrderRel.ServRef1 field, and then another BPM that does the exact opposite.

After testing this field in the BAQ, I can verify it works by checking both the Job Entry and Order Entry screens, where both mirror the update from within the BAQ. This seems to confirm that the BPMs work as intended.

I just cannot determine why the dashboard will not allow me to select the field as updatable. Can anyone shoot some suggestions my way? Thanks!

First make sure you have an action setup in your UBAQ. Go to Actions > Define Custom Action. Create a new action and name it whatever you want. Then go back to the Dashboard and look at the query in question. Go to Properties > Updatability. Here add the custom action you created. That should enable the prompt button.

Thanks for the reply Nate, I’m just getting back around to this.

I’m unfamiliar with custom actions and will need to study more about them, but quick question… Is there something specific that would drive the need for this now, based on what you know of my given information?

I haven’t needed these for our other BAQ’s/Dashboards, so I’m trying to learn what the triggers are.

I’m afraid I can’t say for certain. I know that anytime I use a BPM to process the update, I have to set it up as a custom action. Perhaps previous UBAQs you created didn’t use BPM, but instead used the built in update.

I think some other folks can help clear this up. I am not sure who is still on the forum. @josecgomez @Banderson @ckrusen These guys are smart and friendly. If they have time they certainly can answer your question.
Good Luck!

2 Likes

I seem to remember some flaky things in dashboards that cache field properties within dashboards. Did you try removing the BAQ and then re-adding it?

If you say that the BAQ is updating like you expect, then in the dashboard there is a checkbox on the grid properties that says “Updateable” You need to check that first, and that’s what makes the column show up for prompt on a specific rows. Since you see that column though, and it’s grayed out, that usually happens when you haven’t made it updateable in the BAQ. So for me, the first check would be to go back to the BAQ and triple check that you can actually update that field.

Hey Brandon, thank you so much for the quick jump-in!

I’ve tried to provide visuals to reflect your suggestions and thoughts. I have a few other updatable BAQ’s that use this same field and everything works fine through those. It’s just that they don’t use subqueries like this particular BAQ. I’m not sure if that affects anything.

If I can supply any additional info or data for you, please let me know. I’m eager to learn.

Here is the Update design, showing that this field is selected as Updatable.

BAQ is updatable and works within the designer. I tested this last week, hence the date. This snippet shows that the update function is working.

This update is verified by checking the location. Here is the update on the Job Entry screen.

Here is the dashboard screen showing where the Updatable checkbox is selected, and the Prompt checkbox is not selectable.

That’s odd. I don’t think I’ve seen that one before. I’m assuming you tried checking and unchecking the visible field and see if that opens up the check box. Also, I’m assuming that you tried to check the box even though it’s gray? (never know when goofy row rules wig out).

Absolutely. I’ve removed the BAQ from the Dashboard, saved and relinked. Same thing, it just will not allow me to select that checkbox. I’ve redone the whole BAQ too. I’ve exhausted all of my thoughts and ideas, so I turned here for help.

Do you know how I can read the code for these? Perhaps if I can read the BAQ and DBD files of one that works and compare it to this one, I may see where the issue is.

I do not.

One place to look though would be the field mapping in the updateable part of the BAQ. (let me know if you don’t know what I am talking about) Compare that to a BAQ that works on a dashboard to this one and see what the differences are there.

After some more playing around, and keyword searches, I landed on this prior post where you chimed in. This is what I’m experiencing: the field I want to update is in Subquery 2, with Left Join.

Oddly, within the uBAQ I can update the field. However, the Dashboard will not allow me to select the field as a Prompt. For further testing, I chose a field from Subquery 1 to be updatable, went back into the dashboard, and voila! I was able to select that top-level field as a Prompt.

At this moment, I definitely feel comfortable thinking it’s because of the subquery. I’m a newb with advanced coding so I’m not real sure how this is going to play out.

Yeah that sounds like a bug. You should enter a ticket to support and see what they say about it.