Next sequential part number in Part Maintenance

We have several types of part numbers for raw materials as well as manufactured parts. Raw material part numbers are prefaced with a letter, then a series of numbers. Manufactured parts start with a number and the suffix is a letter. We struggle with knowing the next available part number to input a new material or manufactured part (i.e. last raw material part number entered is A1234, new part number should be A1235).

We can do a search, but if you don’t know approximately the last part number entered for that type of part, then it can take some time to figure out what the next part number should be (and a lot of searching).

Our old system was able to tell us this. I think we could automate it but it would be a major customization. I’m brainstorming and looking for ideas on how to handle this in Epicor in the meantime.

TIA for any thoughts you may have on this!

We use auto generated part numbers we have a BPM to handle it. Just create 2 or 3 counters and use a BPM form to ask for the part type (Mfg vs Raw)

I have a BPM to create a new customer number, however, it can’t figure out when someone accidentally hit new customer and didn’t mean to and it incremented it.

We actually have a BAQ on the customer number field and look for the highest use number and then we use the next one. That seems to work for us, I suppose it depends on how many part series you have that you need to track.

have you checked this out?

It might be the a hybrid for part by class id, so some other part grouping.

Thanks, Jose! Good thoughts…we have several different types of materials and they each have their own prefix (such as resins start with an R, additives start with an A, and so forth). It gives me ideas and that is what I’m looking for at the moment!

Thanks, Ken! I’ll take a look at the link to see if it helps me. I tried to search earlier on here (before I created my post) but didn’t come up with much that would help. I wasn’t looking at Customer ID stuff, though.

Using part classes is a good idea but unfortunately, we have multiple part classes for each type. :frowning:

I like the brainstorming though!!

Jose,

Are there any instructions on doing this in EpiUsers? This is deeper BPM work than I have done in the past.

Thank you,

David

David,

Check Tim’s instructions on the link posted by Ken.

I used those to create a set of BPM’s to auto increment part numbers.

Brett

1 Like

I used a BPM Form to build a Part Number Configurator - it also builds a standard description. As well as marks the Part as Phantom, Non-Stock, Quantity Bearing… depending on the questions / checkboxes supplied on the “New Part Wizard Form”. #JustanIdea

3 Likes