Nightly SSRS Email Report

Hello,

Just want to see what people are using for this when it comes to nightly report.
We have heard SSRS Breaking and Routing rules will do the job. We just want to reach out see if there is available module that Epicor already have before we planning to purchase the module.

Thanks
Sang

there isn’t another a great solution without code.

You can use breaking and routing to email a report on a schedule. setup a schedule in the system agent for the time/days you want the report to run.

Run your report, change the date parameters if needed (use dynamic dates - “today”). choose the schedule you created and choose recurring.

1 Like

Thanks much Bryan

You don’t even need Break/Routing (although it makes it easier).

Just run the report like you were going to print it or preview it. But set a schedule and make it recurring. And instead of clicking the Print or Preview Icon, click the email one. Then fill in the info in the email setup.
NOTE! - hitting the enter key while typing in the Email Body field is the same as clicking the OK button.

When you do click the OK button the task goes to the scheduler and will run at the prescribed time.

You would need Break/Routing if you wanted fileds like the To: or Body: to be dependent on the content of the data (like only sending copies of orders to salesmen specified on the order).

5 Likes

Thanks much! this might be the route we may take!

I strongly suggest adding a User Description too. Else you end up with an entry in the schedule that you don’t know what it is.

And in case you wonder why there are scheduled reports for the Stock Status, it is because we have 4 sites, and send two versions (one in PDF and one in Excel) for each site.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

And if the report has a date in it, you can make that dynamic, so that the date used updates each time the scheduled report runs.

On those SSR entries, I set

So whenever this executes, it will find the last day of the month, and then one month before that.

If it were to execute on 9/1, the date used would be 8/31.
If it executes on 9/15, it would still use 8/31
Executing on 8/31, it would use 7/31.

Another way would have been to use a schedule that fires at 12:01 on the first of the month, and use a dynamic date of “Yesterday”.

1 Like

Just my 2c here, don’t forget you can just create your own report with SSDT, or Report Builder and then create a subscription in SSRS report manager. Rather handy if you have data other than Epicor data you want to report on.

3 Likes

I learned this from a customer: APM can route reports via email by scheduling the report to run in Epicor and print to ERM, and if you want a distribution list, embed those email addresses in the header or footer of the report, change the font to white so it’s invisible, and specific sections of the report can be distributed separately, i.e., Priority Dispatch can be sent to each department supervisor but only their individual section of the report.
Another option is to create a Job in SSMS and schedule that to run as requested, i.e., an email to each supplier with their list of open purchase orders.