Proactively identifying MRP issues

I’m told from time to time MRP doesn’t run for reasons we don’t fully understand… I understand when this happens it causes pretty significant problems for our buyer and production planner and it’s not obvious right away which results in wasted time. I’m also told at 6am someone used to check if MRP ran and if it didn’t they’d attempt to rerun it.

I really don’t want to remote into work everyday at 6am :slight_smile: I figure I can write a script to do this for me via the REST API calls, but first wanted to ask how others deal with this type of issue.

The log file is where the detail lies.

I have a created ana executable that scans the log filefor errors and puts the errors into a new file and finally emails the file to me.

I run this as a scheduled task on the app server, after MRP has run.

I know other people have scanned the file using Powershell, but it is the same principle.

Any pointers on what magic strings to search for in the file to identify success vs error and error messages?

1 Like

I have a Powershell script that checks all the log files for errors and sends me an email if it finds one.
Here’s an old thread with some more details.
https://www.epiusers.help/t/mrp-log-stop-appending-clean-up-files/42246/12

1 Like

I made an Enhancement Request about External Logging. This is part of doing DevOps. You monitor your application to see what is happening in your system so you can respond appropriately. Did errors go up after an upgrade or patch? Are there fewer? New ECO changed the run-time of MRP? Circular BOM?

Why external logging? If you blow away a Pilot system or have to rebuild your live, you lose all those event logs. If you are on SaaS, you don’t have access to the System Event logs. Pushing all of the logs into an external system (cloud or on-prem) allows admins to monitor many metrics easily for multiple systems over time to see trends. Monitoring tools are becoming more and more powerful making unstructured data (like JSON) easier to report on.

And if you haven’t alread seen this thread…

Bruce –

Put a Data Directive on the SysTask table for the process you are looking to monitor or be notified about.

image001.png

image002.png

image003.png

image004.png

image005.png

image006.png

We are running MRP on a daily / weekly basis and I am looking to identify any metrics on the volumes processed within the MRP. Is there a table that can be used to provide business metrics?

Thanks for any assistance!