SMTP Error Epicor

Hello, for the last three weeks we are having intermittent issues where our automated print routing which sends order confirmations to customers randomly stops working it will work fine for 4/5 days then randomly will stop sending emails for 24 hours with the bellow error it will then randomly work again who is at fault our web host provider or the guys that look after outlook365 and epicor server.

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The Operation has time out now we cant send even manual emails from epicor.

@pompe4040 Without getting too far into the weeds on this, Microsoft has some limitations for sending emails that are akin to anti-spam rules. A couple of years ago they instituted this for non-authenticating email senders to prevent open-relay style mass emailing and spamming.

I’m assuming your Epicor instance is sending email to an SMTP relay which is sending to M365. I would make sure that the relay is authenticating to MS and check that you are not sending out a LOT of emails at one time. If you could spread them out a bit using throttling settings on your relay, that might just fix it.

HTH
Mike

2 Likes

It is not random the 24 hours is a timeout that MS put you on if you break the thresholds. You probably sent too many too quickly. I did this years ago when I had an alert on a change made to a part that I forgot about and did a DMT run on thousands of parts and we got put in timeout.

After that we moved to using a connector rather than a logon.

3 Likes

Hello Greg, we have OrderACK,DeliveryNotes and Invoices all go out via email. For order and delivery notes we send as soon as ready to fulfill and the shipped button is ticked. This is only recently started to become and issue it would work fine for 24 hours or so then randomly stop and then when the server rebooted it worked again we need had this issue.

So we are clear can you describe the servers involved and do you have access to the smtp logs to review the conversation between your server and O365 when mail is not flowing?

What server rebooting fixed the issue?

Hello Greg,

For some reason when I restarted are Epicor Application server it tends to fix the issue each time

Which provider are you using for your SMTP?

Services

Office 365?
Gmail?
Internal Relay?
Mimecast?

Information

You will be required to add an exception or a rule in place to allow multiple emails as these services will block your connection if you’re firing to many emails.
My suggestion is to setup an internal relay email server (barebox)

Sequence

App Server → Internal Relay (172.168.1.x :: 25) → Office 365, Gmail

Guide

Here is a guide: Multilple E-mails without anonymous authentication - Experts’ Corner - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

1 Like

Hello,

office365

Do you have a connection setup to allow your WAN IP address? e.g Whitelisted.

Example.

Whitelist IP:
WAN: 92.47.32.99

Anything from WAN will be allowed e.g rolf.harris@elsteadlighting.com

I suggest walking through that guide and setting it up and reporting back if your error disappears.