System agent Task: Email Report

I have a report that gets sent every night at 6pm. However, on Friday nights, nothing gets sent. The check box for Friday is checked in the system agent, but it is not sending. I have thought about adding Saturday to the mix to see if that will make any difference.

What time do you have it set to run at?

6 pm nightly, monday-friday.

What’s the task history show? Should be able to see the report run at 6PM on Friday. Are you seeing that task?

I checked it this morning and I could not see a task for Friday in the Task Manager.

Make sure you’re server time is right.

Also, make sure to do this.

Checked that. But it is not sending at all n Friday, not even late or early.

Is 6:00 PM your times zone equal to Midnight UTC?

I recall someone saying there is a bug, when that is the case. Try setting the time to 6:01 PM

Edit:

Well, …not exactly a bug. But 6:00 PM on Friday Eastern time might be 12:00 AM on Saturday. While the times match, the day doesn’t
(edited at the same time @chaddb pointed this out)

1 Like

Wouldn’t that make it 12:01 Saturday? Or do I have that backwards… :thinking:

1 Like

No you are correct. 6:00 PM CST on Friday is 12:00 AM UTC on Saturday.

One thing I do when running daily reports is to run them at 12:01 AM. That ensures any work done late that day is captured. And for reports that use a date input, I’ll make it dynamic, and select ‘Yesterday’

Edit

Back on the 6:00 PM today is actually tomorrow …
I think the issue arrises as the next Run date and time are stored separately (as a date and an Int of seconds past midnight), instead of a single DateTime

1 Like

That’s how I have our tasks scheduled. Seemed to cause fewer issues.

You’re right, @ckrusen. There IS a bug when the Task Agent tries to advance the schedule to the next run date/time, as the advance logic uses UTC as the base instead of the time in the company’s time zone. In our case, tasks scheduled after 6PM Central were seen as running at 12:00 UTC. If the schedule didn’t run every day, the Task Agent wouldn’t skip ahead far enough to the next day on which it should run, i.e. set the Next Run Date/Time as Saturday when it should be Sunday. Got around the issue by creating Weekly schedules for each day on which we wanted to run a task and avoid using schedules that skipped days.

1 Like