Undoing transfer order receipts?

We just start using transfer orders.

Our finance director freaked out because debits did not equal credits because we had a transfer order that was shipped but not yet received. He wanted me to reverse the transaction or create an offsetting transaction.

After I received the transfer, he told me that he wanted the receipt to be done on the same day as the shipment. Is there any way to change the receipt after it is done to change the date.

This request honestly doesn’t make sense as we are shipping parts halfway across the country and it takes a few days. I also want to make sure we physically receive what is expected. However he is the boss.

Can’t you use the “In Transit Stock” report to show what’s not received yet?

You would think. I see it there.

The finance complaint is that the inbound transfer is not being picked up as a debit. So he just wants me to do undo the whole thing.

Do you have a GL Control code setup for Plant Transfer? When we do a shipment, it goes against an in-transit account. We use that to reconcile the debits/credits until it gets received.

1 Like

That is a good question and probably not. I can’t see site configuration and the little screen shot I do see doesn’t have much to choose from.

I do see we do not have Interdivisional accounting checked. Not sure if that matters.

That’s mainly used when you want to invoice/receive the items between the sites. Leaving this unchecked just moves the cost back and forth. Depending on costing, you may need to define a variance account for transfers as well if your costing is different at the site level.

We don’t use the Interdivisional accounting, but the GL control still handles moving the cost from inventory->in-transit->inventory

That’s a great explanation. We actually want the cost to be transferred.

Looks like we just need to track down the IT person to update the GL account.

Thanks for your help!

The day has finally come! There are 3 of us now. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Also - don’t ever use interdivisional accounting. Wow, what a train wreck.

1 Like

Oh dear. The transfer order was shipped on 3/20, received 3/26. Apparently both as one sided transactions. The problem is the daily total for those two business dates not balancing won’t allow all WIP activity for that period to post.