Upgrading E9 Progress to K22

I am beginning an upgrade project from 9.05.702 to 2022.2 and thought I would ask for any general words of wisdom or gotchas y’all ran into, if you can remember that far back. :slight_smile: E9’s been in use here about 12 years and is highly customized, and 100% Crystal. Db is not huge (55 Gb) but again, it’s OpenEdge. Only using some core modules.
I realize this is an extremely broad question, but I will add one specific - is the ABL to C## conversion tool really GONE, or just no longer available outside of Epicor?
Thanks,
Kim

1 Like

You are ambitious and correct - this will be long and difficult at some points. Overall, going from 9 to 10 was a huge effort in making sure customizations all came over and recreating a lot of Crystal documents.

You have soooooo much to consider - don’t let it be overwhelming - start a list of changes and features you want to explore, get the demo system set up, try everything, and then decide what the ‘new’ end goal is going to be.

Document all the customizations. Address each one in turn - do we need it? should it be different? take the time to set up for success rather than more work in the future. But definitely go straight to SSRS.

Set up some VM’s or Sandboxes to run this whole thing through about a dozen times so you are comfortable with the entire thing. Luckily the system installation is so much easier for Kinetic.

Are you thinking about jumping all the way to browser-based instead of the full client? That is going to be a whole new set of conversions. I might take it in stages since there is going to be so much new functionality and/or process changes in these new versions since E9.

And lastly, good luck!!!

1 Like

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate your taking the time to reply. And no, we’re sticking with smart client for now to minimize the user adjustment.

1 Like

If you have your Admin Console correct going from E9 to K22 is doable. I went from E9 to 10.2.600 for a client easily. The Conversion was easy, however cleaning up all your Customizations and reworking BPMs was the hard part.

We did it in a Converted Version and then on the weekend, we went live I had already all the Solutions and SQL Scripts staged to import and viola.

1 Like

This ^