Using 2D barcodes in Travelers to auto clock-in

@jhecker - I found an old thread from 2019 where you mentioned that you had successfully created 2D barcodes in your travelers that would allow employees to start production activity and clock onto a job with one scan. We are looking to do the same thing but I am not a programmer and only just introduced to 2D barcodes. I am somewhat familiar with screen customization. Thus far, I have created a custom SSRS traveler and have placed a QR Code onto it using QRCoder.dll but that is as far as I have gotten.
Would you be willing to show me what you have done? We are running 10.2.500.16

2 Likes

These requests are always fun ones :slight_smile:

So making this possible comes down to two things. The Font you are using, as well as the specific barcode reader/scanner you are wanting to automate clocking in on. There are characters that you can put into your SSRS expression that will be picked up by your barcode reader (assuming the font is compatible) that can insert actions on screen. Such as Tab and Enter. You can also program your specific barcode reader to do specific actions after it scans a barcode/QR code such as tab or enter by putting it into a specific “mode”.

If you come back with the specific model of 2d barcode scanner and the associated manual, as well as the specific font you are trying to use, id be happy to help out.

DWBAR39 is what we use. Interested in the one-scan theory.

Check out this thread. I’ve done it where you scan a barcode, and you have a key listener that will take your input, and you can parse it to fill in your fields.

This is the exact thread where I found Fred Meissner’s ‘final working code’ problem is that it doesn’t work for me. @Banderson does your code with timer work? Does it fill in the job, assem seq, and op seq from a 2D barcode scan?