Where do Form Customization's live?

I can’t believe I don’t know this, but does anyone know where a customization file actual resides on the file system?
Is it client side or server side?
What I’m trying to do is figure out if I can help manage my environments better with a tool called Beyond Compare, which I have used with other .NET projects.
Thanks!

XXXDef and XXXChunk tables

2 Likes

Ahh, so it’s storing it in the database itself? Thank you!

Thanks for the great question and equally great answer!

The unfortunate thing, in my opinion, is that it’s encrypted in the database. While it makes sense to do so, it also eliminates the possibility of managing the code in a more traditional way.

I feel like I heard mention (or dreamed) about a hash you could use to decode. I think it may have been from Jose or Bart.

Check this thread

3 Likes

Thanks Ed, it wasn’t all just a dream :smile:

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Hey Aaron,

Why wouldn’t the Solution Workbench and GitHub be a decent way to manage code? Just curious.

Mark W.

Solution workbench is a mainstay of my code deployment and is a great tool to use especially for multi-faceted customization’s. I have never used GitHub but I do use SVN. I think solution files and source control are definitely a requirement for a code management strategy, but I still would have liked to see the customization code live in the file system rather than the database, particularly in a multi-developer environment.

Understood. Epicor USED to store a lot of things in the file system: custom code, configurator lookup tables, inter-app communication, etc. But backup/restore to different environments got ugly - fast. If you’re running a big web farm, then synchronization is a problem. It’s rather nice having everything together. So, I can see that where Epicor is going…

We don’t need file systems…

2 Likes

Haha good to know some history on it!

Oh we lots of things we play with and some exists in the framework today under feature flags. I am surprised some of you have not gone reverse engineering spelunking and pestered me on some things. But we do have our day jobs…

2 Likes

Not yet, but soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes