2022.2.x DB upgrade missing prereq versions

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

11.2.200 will not attempt the prior version upgrades and fails almost immediately

But the 11.2.100 updater does

I can’t seem to go from 10.2.600 to 2022.2 only 2022.1 then do another update to get to 2022.2 (I’m assuming that will work fine)

The upgrade window for 2022.2 refuses to “Reset Settings” as well.

I haven’t attempted this yet, so I’ll let you know sometime next week/weekend when I try.

1 Like

What patch of 10.2.600?

I had recently upgraded from 10.2.500.28- Prod to 2022.2.4-Dev, no issue for Conversion WB, except some BPM and form cusromizations issues with Impl base syntax changed. Review more details at : C# Customization Error After Upgrade - #14 by Aaron_Moreng

Ok will do a test here over the day or so…On a demo db though.

That is what we have found as well. Have to jump to a previous version first. 10.2.600.4 to 2022.2

Just took a 10.2.700.24 instance straight to 11.2.200.4 this weekend without issues using the Upgrade Database feature on admin console. I stood up a whole new infra, however. WS2022-SQL 2019, WS2019 App Server.

Only Conversion WB faced minor issues that are related to incompatibility.

Edit: I will say, Application Server for WS2022 would not work due to .NET Framework 3.5 not being available from Windows Update after Server 2019. To fix this, you need to mount an ISO to manually point to the files and this was not feasible in Azure at the moment.

1 Like

Wow

So in my instance. I had several issues

1. The download for 10.2.600.26 appeared to be corrupt. Downloading .25 or .27 worked. I went for .25 in the end
  2. Every time I tried to create a demo database, the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Epicor Software\Database Manager Extensions\3.2.600\DB Migration\DB Scripts folder kept clearing out the ERP Scripts, Ice Scripts, and the Version folders, preventing the creation of the database. In the end I let the Database tool load, allowed it to delete the folders and reextracted the DB Scripts.Zip file from the parent directory. Very weird. I’m glad this is just a test.
  3. So far I am waiting for the DemoDb to load then I’ll stand up a new App server and upgrade it.

Note I am using the Admin console that has been upgraded to 2022.2

EDIT:
After a bit of messing around getting a 10.2.600 DB up. On upgrading to 11.2.200, I noticed that my version of the DB upgrader has a few more steps in it. Is your 11.2.200 Database Manager Extensions install corrupt? Here’s a screenshot of mine.

1 Like

Anyone experiencing this, the best guess, is that there is an existing __MigrationTasks.xml template for this database that doesn’t include the pre Kinetic 2022.2 steps.

1. Close the EAC.
  2. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Epicor Software\Database Manager Extensions\4.2.200\DB Migration\MigrationTasks .
  3. Delete all files except the MigrationTaskTemplate.xml file.
  4. Restore a backup of the 10.2.600 db with the same name of the database you were trying to upgrade that wasn’t working.

See what you get. The Migration Tasks files hold the data for the upgrades and they might be corrupted. I’m live on 2022.2 now so this is much harder for me to test.

I have been deleting the SERVER_INSTANCE_MigrationTasks.xml file every time I run this in our upgrade tests because the items were all checked off and I couldn’t do the upgrade. I left the MigrationTaskTemplate.XML file.

You’re supposed to be able to click “Reset Settings” to re-run the migration on the same db name.

I tried. It didn’t seem to work. I will pay more attention to it next time.

The process overall is dodgy. If you want to “re-upgrade” a database you have to delete it, add it with the next versions deployment not current version, open the upgrader let it tell you it’s done, reset settings to clear it for upgrade again, then upgrade. Nothing about it is intuitive, and if reset settings isn’t working for you then that’s a problem. This is the first instance where I’ve not had it work to reset an upgrade.

1 Like

I just realized you were going from 10.2… I tried just now to go from 2021.2 to 2022.1 and it worked fine…

Pointless comment from me at this point, but I said I would let you know how it went :man_shrugging: