905.702 Scheduling Tips and Tricks

Thanks for the responses!

Nancy,
Thanks for the pointer, I didn't know that removing them from that Global Scheduling Order Table would prevent them from scheduling. I'll look into that some more. 

I've been messing around with some updateable BAQs in our Test Database to see if i could create a dashboard which would allow me to set the start and end dates. I've had partial success, but the dates i set for the operation don't carry through to the resource. And I don't see any tables where I could set the Resource Start and End dates, in fact field help in the scheduling board for them says it's based on the Job Operation Table. Any thoughts? 

Thanks, 
Bobby

Hey everyone, 

I'm trying to get scheduling up and running at our facility and having a terrible time trying to do so. We're a construction/manufacturing company. So each of our projects has a lot of jobs, and we have some projects that have jobs which we're not interested in scheduling, they are just used for costing purposes. If anyone can help with any of the questions below that would be awesome: 

1. Is there a way to prevent a job from being scheduled, even if it is engineered and released? 

2. Our jobs typically have a lot of material on them and this causes everything in the scheduling board to move incredibly slow. Is there a way to create a what if schedule and then update all the material due dates when the changes are accepted?

3. Epicor is way overloading some employees. I've tried finite and infinite scheduling, but I keep having problems both ways. Does anyone have tips on  how to schedule and load employees and how to deal with rapid changes in scheduling? In our business jobs, push, get put on hold, move up all the time and I'm not sure how to keep things current in Epicor. 

4. Does you company have a person dedicated to scheduling in Epicor? 

Thanks in advance. 

-Bobby

First, have you ever looked at the scheduling tech guide…..it will tell you what each and every field affects scheduling and how it affects as well.  A very daunting book.

Second, for your business model you better have a dedicated person in scheduling.  Look at what you just mentioned, every job goes through this, and you know how many open jobs you have.

Third, There is a what if in scheduling, but you may or may not like it.  But it does allow you to see what could happen in your schedule before you commit the changes.  It is under the job scheduling board under actions if I remember correctly.

Forth, play with all of this in your test environment…..

Manasa

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:07 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] 905.702 Scheduling Tips and Tricks

Hey everyone, 

I'm trying to get scheduling up and running at our facility and having a terrible time trying to do so. We're a construction/manufacturing company. So each of our projects has a lot of jobs, and we have some projects that have jobs which we're not interested in scheduling, they are just used for costing purposes. If anyone can help with any of the questions below that would be awesome: 

1. Is there a way to prevent a job from being scheduled, even if it is engineered and released? 

2. Our jobs typically have a lot of material on them and this causes everything in the scheduling board to move incredibly slow. Is there a way to create a what if schedule and then update all the material due dates when the changes are accepted?

3. Epicor is way overloading some employees. I've tried finite and infinite scheduling, but I keep having problems both ways. Does anyone have tips on  how to schedule and load employees and how to deal with rapid changes in scheduling? In our business jobs, push, get put on hold, move up all the time and I'm not sure how to keep things current in Epicor. 

4. Does you company have a person dedicated to scheduling in Epicor? 

Thanks in advance. 

-Bobby

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM API: This communication, including any attachments, contains information that may be confidential or privileged and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete this message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM API: This communication, including any attachments, contains information that may be confidential or privileged and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete this message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.
We've had lots of problems getting everyone to "embrace" a global scheduling run.

Therefore, We just schedule our jobs that have remaining Laboratory Testing operations on them (i.e., our lab was willing to champion this effort!).  

1. get query of pertinent jobs with lab test operations for scheduling
2. run Calculate global scheduling order
3. manually compare the query vs the adjust global scheduling order data
4. delete jobs that are not in query
5. Uncheck backwards schedule on anything due to ship within 2 weeks
6.  Save adjusted schedule
7. Run GFS with our lab resources as the only finite resources

Perhaps you could pull jobs you are not interested in scheduling off via the adjust global scheduling order table and then do GFS run.  Maybe you could also have some sort of identifying info on them (i.e., akin to our Lab ops) to make them obvious candidates for NOT scheduling.

Also, maybe you want to just make finite resources of a single bottleneck area or two to get started.

Nancy