A/R and RMA processing question

Why bother with a credit memo of $0.00. Don't produce it.

On the other hand, the person processing the RMA, may not know it is a
$0.00 credit. If it shows up in the group, you can delete the C/M or
process it to allow for the audit trail.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of leann_37
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:50 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] A/R and RMA processing question

We have a process here that I don't understand, but maybe it's industry
standard, and I'm just blind. We process credit memos for $0.00. They
are for returns of samples or freebies that we sent out on sales orders.
OK, the RMA takes care of getting them back into stock, but what is the
accounting reason for processing a zero dollar credit memo? Vantage
doesn't think much of the practice, I can promise that... If others do
this in Vantage, how? I keep having inbalanced invoice errors, and I'm
becoming inbalanced... :)
Thanks in advance!
- leAnn

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
We have a process here that I don't understand, but maybe it's industry standard, and I'm just blind. We process credit memos for $0.00. They are for returns of samples or freebies that we sent out on sales orders. OK, the RMA takes care of getting them back into stock, but what is the accounting reason for processing a zero dollar credit memo? Vantage doesn't think much of the practice, I can promise that... If others do this in Vantage, how? I keep having inbalanced invoice errors, and I'm becoming inbalanced... :)
Thanks in advance!
- leAnn
We do something similiar for our salesman samples, but there is no Accounting reason. The reason we do sales orders and RMAs (or Invoices if the salesman sells his sample) is to keep track of the item. The only time we do an invoice is if the salesman sells it. I can't see any reason to do an invoice/CM if it is being returned back to stock and there are no dollars involved.

Sent: Tue, October 13, 2009 4:49:58 PM
Subject: [Vantage] A/R and RMA processing question

Â
We have a process here that I don't understand, but maybe it's industry standard, and I'm just blind. We process credit memos for $0.00. They are for returns of samples or freebies that we sent out on sales orders. OK, the RMA takes care of getting them back into stock, but what is the accounting reason for processing a zero dollar credit memo? Vantage doesn't think much of the practice, I can promise that... If others do this in Vantage, how? I keep having inbalanced invoice errors, and I'm becoming inbalanced.. . :)
Thanks in advance!
- leAnn

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]