Ability To Change Part Names/Numbers

It would be awesome to be able to change Part Names/Numbers in Part Maintenance

This could be achieved if Epicor changed the way parts were created

If every new part had a hidden sequential number that it was bound to they could then make it so that the Name/Number field was updateable (like how customers are in the system)

Oy :grimacing:
You manufacture a part sell it invoice it and stock it and then you can come after the fact and change the part number?
That’s going to lead to a lot of pain

4 Likes

I understand the request, however from an audit,cost tracking, inventory control perspective this could be messy. I think the copy part function works pretty well for most.

2 Likes

hmm, yeah, there have been times I wished we could update our part numbering scheme so I see where you are coming from with the request but it could get messy as people say…

I agree that this functionality would be nice if building the ERP from scratch, but I think in general Epicor won’t soon break from their natural key model. PartNum exists in a very large number of tables, so I can see this being a hard sell.

This seems like it would be the perfect problem for an Epicor Function. I would assume that there is a flowchart of how to replace a part with a new part number somewhere. I would think this whole process could then be automated with an Epicor Function.

Do you think somebody knows this? And not just within E10 itself but all connected systems like ECC, etc.?

As for EFx, I can’t think of a supported method that would let one change part numbers that you wouldn’t just do in a Stored Procedure. :thinking:

@Mark_Wonsil I’ve done it before by making sure there were no orders, jobs, shipments, queue records and then changing all BOM’s that used it as a material to the new part and finally adjusting any of the old part number out of stock and adjusting in the new part number. It was all an extensive manual process from what I remember.

My thought was you could use EFX to string together all of the processes. It might even be possible with an updatable BAQ depending on the business.

OK, I thought you were talking about having transactions already.

@Mark_Wonsil With transactions. You are just marking one part Inactive and replacing everything with the new part. It takes time but it’s the only way that I know you can replace a part number with another one. Is there a better way to do a mass part replacement or change the part number from one number to another?

Not that I know of. If Epicor used the SysRowID as the key everywhere and then added (alot of) logic to prompt for PartNum and translate to the SysRowID then you could do the same thing as CustNum and VendNo. But I think it’s a lot of work. The Business Objects won’t let you change the PartNum anywhere, so I’m guessing we’re talking about using the DBContext?