Add a comments field to quotes and sales orders: With configurator inputs responses

Hello we are just getting started with E10.2, just entering test data. I am working to build configurators, I am a total greenhorn, not trying to avoid getting consultant help, but maybe at least trying to have a little better understanding before engaging with a consultant. Wondering if there is any advice available or documents to describe adding a box to the quote or sales order (for viewing on screen and for printing), that will list the configurator input descriptions along with their responses. Right now the order only shows the line item, but nothing to show how the user configured the line item. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks, Dan

I built my configurators to set the description to include as much of the configurator choices/entry as possible.

You could do something similar, but instead of sending that description to the line’s description, send it to the line’s comment.

1 Like

We created some input fields:

The first would add a description for each option separated by a newline. This was always displayed at the end on the last page. If we were calculating a price, then the details of the price were logged.

In a separate hidden input field, we would add debug information.

My configurators would often include Read only textboxes for the PartNum and Description. The configurator logic would update these on the fly, as a preview for what will be set back in the Order Entry.
And I’d use the value of these controls as the source for setting context specific fields (like OrderDtl.Partnum, OrderDtl.LineDesc) when the configurator returns.

1 Like

The Configurator Technical Reference guide is actually pretty good (you can download it from EpicWeb if you don’t already have it). The Document Rules section should help you out in this area.

1 Like

Thanks for all the answers. I was surprised how quickly you helped ! Much appreciated, I will start doing some experimenting, but likely will engage a consultant before finalizing our process. Thanks, Dan

Glad to help Dan, and, by the way, welcome to Epicor / EpiUsers!

I think you’ll find this site to be a huge help during your implementation… Lots of very knowledgeable / helpful people hang out around here, and the Post history knowledge base is just as big / useful as anything you’ll find on EpiCare / EpicWeb!