Add a field to Field Group

I need to add a field to a field group that is used by another workflow and I cannot risk breaking the other workflow.

Will it break it?!

To expand on this, I provided a Default value for a field in an integration datalink.

But I get an error and don’t know what is wrong.

Several hours spent troubleshooting, recorded the workflow, tried multiple values (one value for each field group record), but it is not working. If I only have one line item then it works.

I’ve not tried this, but fields can be marked multi-value AND can be in field groups - but each is unique to the content type when stored. So, my gut says that in a given content type, you could add the field (multi-valued or not) to a field group used in that content type and it would not interfere with the other content types where the field is used singularly.

Datalinks are tricky though. You have to allow for processing of the multiple lines of the field group, or use multi-values function, or carefully structure the datalink. If by chance the datalink brings back conflicting data (compared to the fields you are trying to fill with the data) you might get the situation you are in. I’d look to separate any parent/header data (usually just one row) from the multi-row data and process them in two different action blocks.

Also - you do know that an Action inside a Step Block is considered a ‘database transaction’ and not written to the database until the action completes. So, you cannot alter data and then use that altered data in the same Action - and that might be part of your issue also.

Your reply helped a bit… I went back to an earlier step where the field group retrieves values from the database. I also noticed some of the field group fields were not even fields in the table.

So that gave me an idea, to populate two existing fields in the field group that weren’t being used by this document type. I hardcoded the values in the datalink and it worked beautifully!!

I’d just say that using fields that are there and not being used might bite you later if you ever start using those fields, but if it works for now and you’re comfortable with that then great!