Adding a Dropdown Column in BAQ for Dashboard

Hello Everyone,

I was searching around all last week for a way to make a dropdown column in a BAQ and all I came across was people suggesting to use code. I stumbled across the Updatable Field Editor and was able to make a custom dropdown selection column for a dashboard.

I was wondering if anyone else uses this or if you don’t and why. I’m assuming if you know how to code it then its fairly simple but this might be useful for those who aren’t as savvy with coding.

First I added a UD field to my Order Release table and then added it to the form for display. Then I went to the baq designer and set it up as shown below. I had to edit the dashboard grid properties to show the field and then it started working as intended.

Where it says “Data from: Custom Values” - You can actually choose to get the column selections from a BAQ which I thought was pretty cool.

This only works with static lists. If you have dynamic data, you have use code.

Ahhh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. Quick response!

Yea - so picture you have a requirement for data from another BO (you could potentially add it to your BAQ), but if there is any data that is not available to the BAQ (say a value on the form for example), you have no way to deal with that case.

Other than that, for you needs - it looks like this is a homerun.

1 Like

Not true, you can use user codes as well so you can make it dynamic (sort of). But you can maintain a list without code or going into the BAQ.

Works great if you are happy with all of the rows having the same selection values - but if you need a truly dynamic list, one that can change based on conditions, you just cant do it in the BAQ.

Example - a dropdown list showing me only the ShipTo’s of the customer on the current row (on each row)

Yeah you are right to that level. But I think for most use cases a user code or BAQ suffices, and you can hand off list maintenance to the end user through user code maintenance. It’s kind of dynamic (better than a typed list), but yes, may not get that level of sophistication.

1 Like

Haha most users have much more sanity :wink: I do agree that this method is by far, much easier, and suitable for most cases

I am using this in a DB (via BAQ) as well and it works extremely well but my wish it to be able to add to the drop down list short of going back and revising the BAQ. Is there a reasonably simple way of doing this?

I’m not sure what you mean. The BAQ looks up the information when you need it. If the information changes, the BAQ should pick up the changes and adjust the list. What’s your use case?

Brandon

I put the lookup table in the BAQ (it is a UD field) and the picklist is defined in the BAQ and I believe I have boxed myself into updating the BAQ each time I need to add/delete from the picklist

it was handy doing it but regretting it now

any other ways to attack this?

Do you mean you typed the list in a BAQ? Or you are looking up the information in a BAQ? You have to give me more information. There are a lot of ways to get/create lists with a BAQ.

Typed the list in the BAQ

John Zachow

Vice President, Wire & Cable Systems

P: +1 920.215.6628 | C: +1 860.271.9397

jzachow@davis-standard.com

davis-standard.com

Davis-Standard Logo_4color_Tagline

How come you can’t use the User codes referenced above?

I did not have experience with User Codes but now I understand what you are saying

thank you

1 Like

Another option would be to remove the criteria from the BAQ, and add it as a filter on the DB
(assuming that removing the criteria doesn’t create some overwhelming query on your server)

I think they are using it to set values, not just filter a dashboard.

yes, I am using the picklist to populate the choices, not just filter it