Application Error: "Load report failed"

I am trying to print preview a purchase order with a custom report style. I have two custom report styles, let’s call them TSPOForm1 and TSPOForm2. TSPOForm1 print previews fine, while TSPOForm2 throws an error when the preview is coming up:

Application Error: “Load report failed”

When I click on the detail button I get this info:

Exception caught in: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

Error Detail

Inner Exception Message: Invalid pointer
Program: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll
Method: EnsureDocumentIsOpened

Client Stack Trace

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()
at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)
at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod)
at Ice.Lib.Report.EpiCrystalViewer.LoadReport(Object state)

Inner Exception

Invalid pointer

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc.ReportClientDocumentClass.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)
at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)
at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()

I went to Report Style Maintenance to compare the two styles. Under the Styles / Style Detail / Detail sub-tab I see all the details are identical except the report location (TSPOForm1.rpt versus TSPOForm2.rpt). Both rpt files are in the same directory and exists as specified. The only weird thing about the path is that they both start with “reports/CustomReports/” but the network drive mapping I use to see the reports is “\E10HOST\EpicorData\CustomReports” - there is no “reports” in the path.

When I try to print preview from SAP Crystal Reports 2013, I connect to the XML file I tried to print on, and get the errors “Failed to retrieve data from the database” and “Unknown Database Connector Error”.

This report was working a few days ago and I don’t recall making any changes since then. The fact that an almost identical report style does work seems to eliminate most of my guesses at what could be wrong. How can I troubleshoot and get to the bottom of this issue?

Is the Report open in the Designer?
FYI, I would highly recommend moving to SSRS if you are making major changes.

Only open in the designer when I tried to preview it in Crystal. It was a really minor change and I mistakenly thought it would be simplest to just save the E9 report in the E10 directory (after copying and pasting the new section between Crystal 2008 and 2013 failed with “Not implemented”). I finally just bit the bullet and completely recreated the change in the already migrated report in E10.