Azure Costs

As our server ages, it’s a 2014 running server 2012 R2, I am looking into running SQL on an Azure VM. Running the costing calculator, I am coming up with over $1,000 per month. At this pricing, I am really finding it hard to imagine Azure being a benefit. I have searched here and some people mention a small performance loss. At this price I could but a new server every six months and throw it away and still be ahead. How do you have things set up to keep the costs down?

Besides that hardware costs of a new server, you’d need to add in the maintenance costs as well. Then add in whatever you backup system costs are. And also compare the value of “uptime”.

Are you using Reserve Instance pricing ?

We are a pretty small company, only 5 full users and 5 MES users. I do all server maintenance myself, which is very minimal. To be honest, our internet is less reliable than our Epicor server. I haven’t looked at what Epicor online would cost, but I am betting it would be cheaper.

1 Like

The Epicor Cloud pricing has been posted here before. If you search for Epicor Cloud you may be able to find it.

We’re also a small company just 10 regular users, 2 MES seats (but neither in use). We are “on premises”, by the fact that our parent company has a data center, and the E10 App server and SQL servers run on VM’s in the data center.

Prior to being acquired by our parent company, were truly on premises. Servers in a closet, daily tape backups - with me carrying the backup tape to be stored in a fireproof safe in one of our other buildings. This was over 5 years ago.

I was not, but that does help. I also had SQL enterprise selected and we only need SQL standard. This is bringing it down to 560/mo. I also have 4 cores/32gb memory selected. This is what i currently have. Is there a reason I would not need as much on a virtual machine? I have never really played around with VM’s in Azure, so I am unsure of the differences in sizing required.

Many use the Azure Migration Tool is get an idea of sizing and pricing.

Also, if your SQL Server is on Software Assurance, you may be able to use that license in Azure.

The price includes: use of the software, your maintenance, upgrades, backups, etc. So it can be compelling. You will be limited in some ways: no direct SQL access for example and liberated in others.

1 Like

Sorry to jump in…

If anyone is looking for for super fast server onsite with at a good price. Look at HP 3PAR reconditioned hardware.

25tb 60%SSD 40%10k disk is around £19,000. this has supper fast speed and is very good at high high availability.