Backordering Parts of an Order Line 8.03.305

I haven't messed with sales kits since our first days with DCD. Since most of our products are engineered-to-order we would end up with a ton of sales kits in the system. I have a meeting with them today to discuss the situation. If there are just a handful of parts that are affected, the sales kit might be the answer. Thanks.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of c.krusen1
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 7:48 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Backordering Parts of an Order Line 8.03.305

Would making each conveyor a Sales Kit work?

We don't currently use Sales Kits. But I have just started looking at them as we too often have to ship a component separately. It looks like you can set them up to require "ship complete", or not. And that each Sales Kit can be setup to "show components", or not.

It might also make the request for a BOM a little more manageable, as I doubt the customer wants to see every screw, washer and bolt.

Calvin

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mark" <mtellefson@...<mailto:mtellefson@...>> wrote:
>
> I received an odd request from our shipping department today that I am afraid will cause more problems than it fixes. A common order for us will have one or more lines with each line being an entire conveyor (BOM made up of hundreds of parts). Each line is linked to a separate job. Occasionally we run into delayed purchased components (motors for example) and since our equipment usually goes into very large projects we will ship the conveyor without the motor so the customer can start the install.
>
> The only way I can think to track the backordered components would be to remove the motor from the BOM and add another line to the order. The problem then is that the PO is already connected to the original job, unless it is purchased to stock.
>
> They also asked if there is any way that the entire BOM could be on the packing slip so they could select the items that actually shipped. I imagine this being as confusing as the lumberyard bills I received when building our house. What customer wants a 20 page packing slip and invoice?
>
> Any other ideas of how this might be accomplished?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
I received an odd request from our shipping department today that I am afraid will cause more problems than it fixes. A common order for us will have one or more lines with each line being an entire conveyor (BOM made up of hundreds of parts). Each line is linked to a separate job. Occasionally we run into delayed purchased components (motors for example) and since our equipment usually goes into very large projects we will ship the conveyor without the motor so the customer can start the install.

The only way I can think to track the backordered components would be to remove the motor from the BOM and add another line to the order. The problem then is that the PO is already connected to the original job, unless it is purchased to stock.

They also asked if there is any way that the entire BOM could be on the packing slip so they could select the items that actually shipped. I imagine this being as confusing as the lumberyard bills I received when building our house. What customer wants a 20 page packing slip and invoice?

Any other ideas of how this might be accomplished?
Would making each conveyor a Sales Kit work?

We don't currently use Sales Kits. But I have just started looking at them as we too often have to ship a component separately. It looks like you can set them up to require "ship complete", or not. And that each Sales Kit can be setup to "show components", or not.

It might also make the request for a BOM a little more manageable, as I doubt the customer wants to see every screw, washer and bolt.

Calvin

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mtellefson@...> wrote:
>
> I received an odd request from our shipping department today that I am afraid will cause more problems than it fixes. A common order for us will have one or more lines with each line being an entire conveyor (BOM made up of hundreds of parts). Each line is linked to a separate job. Occasionally we run into delayed purchased components (motors for example) and since our equipment usually goes into very large projects we will ship the conveyor without the motor so the customer can start the install.
>
> The only way I can think to track the backordered components would be to remove the motor from the BOM and add another line to the order. The problem then is that the PO is already connected to the original job, unless it is purchased to stock.
>
> They also asked if there is any way that the entire BOM could be on the packing slip so they could select the items that actually shipped. I imagine this being as confusing as the lumberyard bills I received when building our house. What customer wants a 20 page packing slip and invoice?
>
> Any other ideas of how this might be accomplished?
>