BAQ Parameters Not Working on SSRS Report

Hi, I’m trying to run a report on a custom table that keeps track of attendance records for employees. The way the system is set up, records are disabled after a year of being added, so running this report on specific days is important. To do this I wanted to set up a parameter that would allow the person running the report to input a date, and the report would run to show all records that are valid a year before that input date. The way filters and options are set up in the BAQ Report Designer, it seemed impossible to fill that requirement, so I wanted to put those parameters on the BAQ itself and have those pushed to be report parameters. I tried to follow what was done here

but ran into an error that I could not understand.

This error confuses me because I did input the parameters. Maybe someone else has done this before and can answer what went wrong.

The easy solution is to make a Calc column in the BAQ that is the record date + 1 year (use the DATEDIFF(,,) function. Then have the BAQ Report option filed be on the calc column.

A record with a date of 1/15/2020 would make the calc field be 1/15/2021. If the user enters 1/1/2021, 1/15/2021 is > 1/1/2021

As of 10.2.300+

The BAQ Report Designer is considered legacy and should not be used going forward, it has been replaced with Dynamic Reports… so you would create the BAQ still and use Report Style and Report Data Definition to link the BAQ and that allows you to set input fields to BAQ Params.

Or you use the Legacy and use filters.

The Help Section is under this category:

I tried this solution and ran into an issue, while your idea did partially work, there are always records being added to this table. So, entering a date sufficiently far back will also show records past that date that were added, since those dates will also be greater than the date entered as an option field. For example, entering a date like 6/1/2020 will show a ‘future’ record like 6/19/20, which we also don’t want.

You could filter out “future dates” in the RDL. I’m pretty sure the Option field’s value is in the RptParam dataset.

I looked into this as well, the option fields are in that dataset, but the date field I am comparing them against are within the ReportResult dataset, and Report Builder throws an error when I try to compare values from two different datasets.

Filter out “future dates” in the tablix, not the query expression.

When I put this filter in the tablix itself, if I go through the categories and add the values that way, it complains about having aggregate functions in FilterExpressions, but if I simply put values like [Option_2] and [Date01] it complains again about having two different datasets being compared. I’ve also tried mix-matching them so one is the normal field and the other is the ‘aggregate function’

Just so I’m clear … The goal is:

• A BAQ Report with a date field as in input (call it inDate).
  • The BAQ results include a date field (call it recDate)
  • The report should only show records where:
    • recDate >= (inDate - 1yr) AND recDate <= inDate

Yes that is correct

You can edit the query expression for the BAQReportResult to join the Rpt Parameter table, like:

="SELECT T1.[PartTran_TranNum],T1.[PartTran_TranDate],T1.[PartTran_TranType],T1.[PartTran_PartNum],T1.[Calculated_TranDateYearPrior], T2.Option01 "
+ " FROM dbo.[BAQReportResult_" + Parameters!TableGuid.Value + "] AS T1"
+ " JOIN dbo.[BAQReportParameter_" + Parameters!TableGuid.Value + "] AS T2 ON 1=1"

edit

Just to be clear. I had to:

1. Add the "AS T1" to the query’s original FROM clause
  2. Add "T1." in front of the original field names in the SELECT clause
  3. Add the the JOIN ... AS T2 ON 1=1 clause
  4. Add ", T2.Option01 " (don’t forget the comma, and trailing space) to the SELECT clause
  5. Add the field to the

Now you can refer to BAQReportResults.Option01 in the tablix’s filter.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the patient help. Yes that ended up working, I could access the Option field and used it to filter the results and everything matched what we have in our database for a similar query.