BAQ Report - SubReport using BAQReport

How are you linking the subreport? It might be an issue if the subreport is pointed to the incorrect location.

I’m connecting the SubReport through a parameter. One thing I didn’t mention in my previous response is I’m working in a SaaS environment. I don’t know if that makes a difference here but the main report works just fine, its only the SubReport that’s giving me an issue.

Did you ever get this to work? Is the subreport a BAQReport?

Yeah I did, I ended up having to use RDD (Report Data Definition) with multiple BAQ’s. I then downloaded the rdl file and made two copies of it and renamed them SubReport1, SubReport2. On the original rdl you can then insert the subreports using the newly named copies.

That was the only way I found possible in a SaaS environment.

Does your subreport include the parameters for TableGuid also?

Yeah it did. Since the sub report was a copy, I was able to use the same TableGuid as the main report with no issues.

I think I’m running into the issue where the main report is a BAQReport and then the subreport is also a BAQReport. Is your setup the same with using all BAQReports?

I had to build it in RDD instead of BAQReport to get it to work. I don’t think BAQReport supports SubReports.

I’m still not clear if a main BAQReport supports a SubReport that is a BAQReport also?

BAQ report does not support sub reports. You need to make BAQ based RDD.

Could you clarify how to make a BAQ a based RDD?

It is explained in the link below on this forum.

I read through the link and I thought BAQReports always created a RDD based Report Style from the BAQ? What is the difference in your original comment with a BAQ Report vs. a BAQ based RDD report, I thought they were the same since it creates it in the Report Style as 'Report used by BAQReport…" as the Report ID description. Can a BAQ based RDD support subreports?

The difference is in BAQ report you can only have one BAQ and also it does not support sub reports. In BAQ based RDD you can add as many BAQs as you want and it supports subreports if needed. BAQs can be added any time you want to modify the report and add more information.

Basically, a BAQ report generates one temp table of the results of the BAQ. It also makes 2 or 3 other temp tables to hold things about the report, and are not specific to the data returned by the BAQ. Here’s an RDL for a BAQ report
Examining the query expression of the BAQReportResult dataset shows it pulls from one temp table: BAQReportResult_GUID.

A RDD report (native or BAQ based) can generate multiple datasets. The main report then pulls data from one or more of the tables. Here’s the QuotForm one:

If you look at the properties of the Quote dataset, and examine the query expression, you’ll see that this dataset pulls from several temp tables: QuoteHed_GUID , QuoteDtl_GUID , and QuoteQty_GUID

The QuotForm report uses several sub reports. Examining the datasets for the QuotForm_HeadMiscCharges subreport shows that the Quote RDD also created temp table QuoteLnMsc_GUID.

Makes sense with your RDD report that is BAQ based. I do see the RDD with the description “Report used by BAQReport…” with the Report Type ‘SQL Server Reporting’. If an RDD exists for that BAQ, is it a RDD based BAQ report already but I am still seeing the BAReportResult only in the report’s dataset.

If I create the BAQReport through BAQ Report Designer and save it, it automatically creates the Report Style and the RDD. Is this not the correct steps or do we need to manually create it through the Report Style and not through BAQ Report Designer?

BAQ report designer is not use when creating reports from BAQ based RDDs. RDD is created manually by adding the BAQs. Then you create Report Style and link it to the RDD. In the report style under Action you will use “Create SSRS report”. This will create a report in you Custom reports folder on the report server. From thereon it is just like any other SSRS report you can design the way you want it.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Does all the joins in the BAQ come over or do you have to manually re-add those tables into the RDD also and in the Report Builder sql expression? I didn’t see any of the tables in the RDD when I manually added the BAQ.

They will come over. You only add the BAQ in RDD and nothing else. When you go to design the SSRS report you will see all the tables and fields. Each BAQ will appear as a separate Data source.