Exact steps for making an RDD based Report that uses BAQ's ("Advanced BAQ Reports")?

Edit: Added a question mark to the topic’s title. This post asking how, not telling how.

I’ve been struggling with making an “Advanced BAQ Report” (note the term has coined by @amurdock). Specifically to use the RDD’s Option Criteria to pass to the BAQ’s Parameter.

1. I get that the BAQ report needs the parameters and their uses setup in the BAQ.

2. When making the RDD, what report type should it be?
    I’d lean towards it being either “Base Def” or “SQL Server Rptg”. But would like to know when any of those are appropriate.

3. In the RDD I add the BAQ, and a Criteria Set. Then use the Criteria Mapping to make the Criteria Prompt.

With a “Standard BAQ Report” you’d use BAQ Report Designer, which would promt you for the BAQ and it would creat the Report ID and the first style. But in an “Advanced BAQ Report” you skip the BAQ Report designer and instead create a Report Style.

1. So now make a new Report ID (using Report Style Maintenance), and add styles to it.
    Do I need to specify a Report Service? On Std BAQ Rpts - this is blank. On built-in RDD based reports (like OrderAck), there’s a value pointing to a dll (for OrderAck, it is Erp:Rpt:SalesOrderAck) . Does the RDD for the “Adv BAQ Rpt” create this, or should it be left blank?

2. Say I got #4 set correctly, now I add the Report Style to the ID. What Report Type should the Style use? My first guess would be that it should match the Type from step #2.

If I choose Base Definition I only see the RDD whose Type was “Base Def”

If I choose SQL Server Reporting, I see both RDD’s (the “Base Def” and “SQL Serv…”)

1. Now I have to specify a path to the RDL (which doesn’t currently exist in any form)
    So now I have to make this RDL from Scratch: Adding the Datasource, Setting the dataset query expressions, Adding fields, etc…

2. Now that the RDL exists with everything required for it to run, I need to add Menu Item to launch the Report. What Program type is it?

• Menu Item - like built-in RDD based reports are
  • BAQ Report - even though BAQ Report Designer never ran, and the RDD isn’t in the list of BAQ Reports for the “Report…” field
  • SSRS Custom Report Link - There’s a report field, but you can’t search for what you made in Report Style
  • Report - This looks like it is it, as it allows you to select the Report ID that you made in Report Style Maintenance

I’d have thought that was all that needed to be done. But upon testing the form that shows when launched from the menu item (#7 above), doesn’t have the criteria prompt

When I use “Preview Submission Form” in RDD entry, I see:

When I launch the form from the menu item I created I don’t see the Report Options

I’d really appreciate someone pointing out that one (or more ) stupid thing I missed.

@ckrusen, I hope this answers all of your questions!

2.When making the RDD, what report type should it be?
I have mine set to SQL Server

4.Do I need to specify a Report Service
No, mine is blank.

5.What Report Type should the Style use? My first guess would be that it should match the Type from step #2.
Yes, I made them match. My report type on the Report Style is also SQL Server Reporting.

6.Now I have to specify a path to the RDL (which doesn’t currently exist in any form)
So now I have to make this RDL from Scratch: Adding the Datasource, Setting the dataset query expressions, Adding fields, etc…
For this one I copied the BAQ Report template .rdl file and saved it in CustomReports with a descriptive name, add the path to the Report style, then did the unthinkable :wink: and clicked ‘Sync Dataset’ to copy everything to the .rdl

7.Now that the RDL exists with everything required for it to run, I need to add Menu Item to launch the Report. What Program type is it?
Correct, use the Report Menu type and pick the report style name

7b.Did you select the Criteria Set in the Report Style?

3 Likes

No I did not … (I knew it was something simple!!)

And one thing that I didn’t realize… Since the Criteria Set is tied to the Style, selecting a different style on the report form , changes the criteria displayed.

ReportCriteria

2 Likes

Does this process work for cloud instances? I’m getting stuck trying to generate the .rdl after I have the RDD and Report Style created.

Thanks!

Adding that within Report Style Maintenance, I’ve chosen the “Actions > Create SSRS Report” option and it gives me a report path. However, when I try to download the report to edit in Repot Builder I get this error:
Error collecting reports:
Error calling GetCatalogItem.
ErrorCode: NotFound(404)
Content: {
“error”:{
“code”:“2”,“message”:“The item ‘(Report Path)’ cannot be found.”
}
}

I don’t know the exact limitations that cloud based environments exist. But the following might work.

1. Load a different BAQ report in Report Style Maint.
  2. Download the report.
  3. Edit the report by editing the Datasource, Setting the dataset query expressions, Adding fields, etc…
  4. Save the RDL with the name for your new report.
  5. In Report Style Maint, load the ReportID of your new report.
  6. Edit the report location to be the name (and path) that was used in step 4.
  7. Upload the report (use the Action menu)

There is a very tricky thing with report paths…
Say my style has the path /reports/CustomReports/MyBAQ/BAQReport001
And I download that to the location MyDocuments It doesn’t copy BAQReport001.rdl to MyDocuments.
It creates the whole path reports\CustomReports\MyBAQ in My documents and copies all the RDL files from the “folder” MyBAQ on the SSRS server.

When you go to upload a Report it looks at the current path for the style selected, and includes that when getting the file from your computer. So you would point to the MyDocuments folder on your workstation, and not the actual BAQReport001.rdl file.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll give this a try!

Turns out that my problem was that there was a dash in my BAQ name (i.e CompanyName-BAQ) and either Epicor didn’t like that there was a dash, or the query name was getting too long. Regardless, I spun off a copy of the BAQ with the company name dropped and it appears to be working!

Ms. Laura: that is correct - the dash (hyphen) is not supported. I found that out also.

I also found that the RDD Name has fewer alowable characters than the BAQ’s. So if your BAQ name is lengthy, you will likely have to rename your BAQ (if you want to use the same name for BAQ’s and RDD).

DaveO

2 Likes

Hi Dave - maybe you can answer this one for me: is there a way to see an xml output when on the cloud? Typically when troubleshooting my RDD/BAQ output I’ll run an xml version of the report and review the data. Is this possible on the cloud? If so - where would I find the xml file?

Ms. Laura: System Management → Schedule Processes → Server File Download.

Select the “Directory Type” to “Reports”.

Then download the XML to your PC.

It’s not very pretty - but it does work.

I must confess I have never used this for debugging - although now that i know it can be done i may in the future.

DaveO

I am getting the following error in the System Monitor: “Mandatory parameter values are not specified for ‘JobAsmbl_ReceiptHistory’ BAQ: JobNum”.

RDD criteria:

From the Report Style:

Report menu item:

Edit: I solved the problem…I forgot to enter a Control Type and Name:

1 Like