BAQ reports Blank Title 65029

Conner -

One word of warning. Relying solely on the length of the BAQReportParameter.Filter01 field might not be suffcient. The text in that field my contain other variable length data (such as userid) so look at the full text of the field before deciding.

Calvin

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "cooner_55421" <cooner_55421@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks, I think this will work like I was envisioning.
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "c.krusen1" <ckrusen1@> wrote:
> >
> > You can check if filters have been used by using the BAQReportParameter.Filter01. It's a string that will actually have XML code in it.
> >
> > You could simply check the length of the string to see if it's shorter than however long it is with nothing selected for the filter. Then display message and suppress all other sections.
> >
> > This won't make the BAQ run faster, but would save you reams of paper if run "incorrectly".
> >
> > Calvin
> >
> >
> > --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "cooner_55421" <cooner_55421@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just wondering how others make a criteria required on BAQ reports.
> > > -- Especially when there are multiple options & filters available.
> > >
> > > I see some BAQ reports that are huge when a user forgets to enter an option/filter.
> > >
> > > Thanks ahead of time...
> > >
> >
>
I'm brand new to Vista and I was wondering if anyone has basic instructions on how to get started on BAQ, seems the Epicor support (or lack thereof) isn't too helpful unless I want to pay for a consultant to come and show me.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Get a copy of the book 'Epicor Tools User Guide' from your Customer
Account Manager.

It cost me around £100 GBP and it tells you a lot of what you need to
know. I'd get this first and read the BAQ section, and have a go in a
training database, and if after that you're still confussed arrange
some formal training :)

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Kite <barken2008@...> wrote:
>
> I'm brand new to Vista and I was wondering if anyone has basic
instructions on how to get started on BAQ, seems the Epicor support (or
lack thereof) isn't too helpful unless I want to pay for a consultant
to come and show me.
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
There is a little more to BAQ's than I could fit into the contents of an email. I can explain the basics in about a half hour if the person is sitting in the same room with me. Here are a few tips that may help get you started.

1. Have a basic understanding of relational databases and how they are structured. The data in Vantage/Vista is based on a relational database, so that knowledge will help you extract the information.

2. Use the Phrase Builder in the BAQ Designer to select tables and specify relationships. This is the heart of BAQ design. Often, the relationships will be taken care of automatically, and the offered relationship is usually the best way to proceed, but you can specify your own relationships.

3. Go ahead and play with creating BAQ's. You cannot fundamentally screw up the system by creating a BAQ, though I would not be surprised if you triggered some performance issues if you got too carried away. It would probably be hard for a novice BAQ designer to get things that complicated though. You can learn a lot just by giving it a try.

4. Read the application help topics relating to BAQ's. They are actually pretty helpful to get things started.

Good luck!

Thom Rose
Controller
Electric Mirror, LLC
T 425 776-4946 ext. 1024
A 11831 Beverly Park Road, Building D, Everett, WA 98204 USA
www.electricmirror.com<http://www.electricmirror.com/>
Note: The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any reading, use or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at 425-776-4946 and delete this message from your system. Even though this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and no responsibility is accepted by Electric Mirror LLC for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. www.electricmirror.com<http://www.electricmirror.com>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Barbara Kite
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 6:21 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: {Disarmed} [Vantage] BAQ reports

I'm brand new to Vista and I was wondering if anyone has basic instructions on how to get started on BAQ, seems the Epicor support (or lack thereof) isn't too helpful unless I want to pay for a consultant to come and show me.

Oh, one more tip:

Look for where the data is by reviewing the Data Dictionary Viewer. The table names mostly make sense, though there are some anomalies, like using "Vend" or "Vendor" table names when they use "Supplier" everywhere else.

Thom Rose
Controller
Electric Mirror, LLC
T 425 776-4946 ext. 1024

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Rose
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:27 AM
Subject: {Disarmed} RE: {Disarmed} [Vantage] BAQ reports

There is a little more to BAQ's than I could fit into the contents of an email. I can explain the basics in about a half hour if the person is sitting in the same room with me. Here are a few tips that may help get you started.

1. Have a basic understanding of relational databases and how they are structured. The data in Vantage/Vista is based on a relational database, so that knowledge will help you extract the information.

2. Use the Phrase Builder in the BAQ Designer to select tables and specify relationships. This is the heart of BAQ design. Often, the relationships will be taken care of automatically, and the offered relationship is usually the best way to proceed, but you can specify your own relationships.

3. Go ahead and play with creating BAQ's. You cannot fundamentally screw up the system by creating a BAQ, though I would not be surprised if you triggered some performance issues if you got too carried away. It would probably be hard for a novice BAQ designer to get things that complicated though. You can learn a lot just by giving it a try.

4. Read the application help topics relating to BAQ's. They are actually pretty helpful to get things started.

Good luck!

Thom Rose
Controller
Electric Mirror, LLC
T 425 776-4946 ext. 1024
Note: The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any reading, use or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at 425-776-4946 and delete this message from your system. Even though this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and no responsibility is accepted by Electric Mirror LLC for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. www.electricmirror.com<http://www.electricmirror.com>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Barbara Kite
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 6:21 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: {Disarmed} [Vantage] BAQ reports

Hi,

Just wondering how others make a criteria required on BAQ reports.
-- Especially when there are multiple options & filters available.

I see some BAQ reports that are huge when a user forgets to enter an option/filter.

Thanks ahead of time...
One thing to try is to set a default - which they should then be able to change to what they need

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of cooner_55421
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:14 PM
Subject: [Vantage] BAQ reports

Hi,

Just wondering how others make a criteria required on BAQ reports.
-- Especially when there are multiple options & filters available.

I see some BAQ reports that are huge when a user forgets to enter an option/filter.

Thanks ahead of time...

You can check if filters have been used by using the BAQReportParameter.Filter01. It's a string that will actually have XML code in it.

You could simply check the length of the string to see if it's shorter than however long it is with nothing selected for the filter. Then display message and suppress all other sections.

This won't make the BAQ run faster, but would save you reams of paper if run "incorrectly".

Calvin

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "cooner_55421" <cooner_55421@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering how others make a criteria required on BAQ reports.
> -- Especially when there are multiple options & filters available.
>
> I see some BAQ reports that are huge when a user forgets to enter an option/filter.
>
> Thanks ahead of time...
>
Thanks, I think this will work like I was envisioning.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "c.krusen1" <ckrusen1@...> wrote:
>
> You can check if filters have been used by using the BAQReportParameter.Filter01. It's a string that will actually have XML code in it.
>
> You could simply check the length of the string to see if it's shorter than however long it is with nothing selected for the filter. Then display message and suppress all other sections.
>
> This won't make the BAQ run faster, but would save you reams of paper if run "incorrectly".
>
> Calvin
>
>
> --- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, "cooner_55421" <cooner_55421@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just wondering how others make a criteria required on BAQ reports.
> > -- Especially when there are multiple options & filters available.
> >
> > I see some BAQ reports that are huge when a user forgets to enter an option/filter.
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time...
> >
>