Biscit Epicor Kinetic Warehouse (EKW aka EMWW) Performance issues and Tokens

We’ve been live with EKW on Honeywell devices for almost 2 years now and overall we’re pretty happy.

But this whole time we have been struggling with intermittent performance issues. For reasons we do not understand the app is just sometimes painfully/unusably slow. Sometimes it seems good for a while and we don’t hear many complaints, and then two weeks later everyone is ready to kill us it’s so bad.

We’ve looked at everything. Epicor servers, Wifi, networks, devices, users, and so on. So many rabbit holes, so much time spent with no answers or actual patterns discovered. Support just blames our infrastructure and our Infra team blames the app.

Today I was testing something on a device and it was painfully slow for me. On a whim, I went poking around the app and discovered a “refresh token” button under the licensing area. Tried pressing it and all of the sudden I had a night and day performance improvement.

How does that make any sense? If a token is expired I would expect the app to error or log me out, etc…, but if a token is just a little “old” how on earth would that slow performance? Could this be a clue that tells us something about the true underlying problem?

I don’t have a solution for you but I have 4 barcode scanning devices running EKW through Biscut and all the sudden we are having license error saying “license invalid, using temporary data collection license”. Biscut said everything is fine on their end and our license is valid, but we still get the error. I did try the refresh token button and it seemed to do nothing at all.

Hi Taylor,

Did you add licenses later? If so, Epicor may have shipped a new license file for Kinetic. You’d have to send it to the Cloud Team to install. Something to check anyway…

I have received complaints that our EKW on our Honeywell CT45XP Android scanners are performing slow as well. We are on Kinetic version 2022.1.11. Not getting complaints about slowness with the Kinetic application, just EKW. Case submitted with Epicare Support but no recommendations yet. I forwarded your refresh token trick to my warehouse team and will let you know if we see any performance improvements from trying it.

Just to clarify, the warning you see @tzumbrun about “using temporary data collection license” is due to a missing Epicor module licence file, which is different to Biscit licencing. Mark is correct that you will need to contact the Epicor cloud team to install this missing licence file.

@TomAlexander The refresh token button just refreshes the Biscit licencing information. I can’t think of any way this could affect performance, especially if you are not seeing licence expiry warnings.

I’m sure Epicor support have been through a lot of this already, but have you found any pattern to the kinds of performance issues you are seeing - particular processes or screens? Have you confirmed there are not any customisations or BPMs (even seemingly unrelated) running? Have you been able to compare the performance of browser Kinetic vs EKW running on the same device when it is slow - this would eliminate a lot of variables.

You could review the System Log to get a sense of services/calls which are failing or slow. To get there, open the righthand menu “(?) > System Log” and press “Show Debug Logs”.

That is where I started when trying to troubleshoot. It was the Epicor ticket that brought me to conversations with Biscit. Out of our 4 scanners, they are all working properly, but 3 of the scanners will show the “Data collection license used” at login. Really the only issue is our scanning employees get confused when the see the message and assume the scanner is broken.

1 Like

Your icon/avatar is great.

Proof of Delivery (POD) seems to be a common source of troubles for us. Often times we seem to fail and get a screen like this

In testing, we authenticated, ran the test 3 times successfully, then the fourth time it failed.

Are you saying that screen is suddenly appearing during a test run? What are you doing when you get presented with that screen?

Have you submitted a support case with Epicor?

Every time that we see this failure it is just after taking the picture for Proof Of Delivery. The issue does not occur every time we do POD, but it seems it always occurs during POD.

When I mention test run, it is just because we were trying to cause and document this issue.

We do have a ticket open with Epicor though I wont hold my breath.

1 Like